Schools rescinding offers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
As a player it seems like you are caught in a "catch-22". Once you verbal to a school do you attend other schools camps and clinics? Call other coaches? Continue your recruiting efforts as if you are not verballed? If the coach of the school knows their verballed players are still actively soliciting other opportunities, they are going to continue looking for other players to fill that spot.

I think JAD hit the nail on the head with this. I've seen a lot of posts in this thread about how cold and calculated the recruiting process is, and that one should keep her options open, but I don't think I've seen any that specifically answer JAD's questions (and I don't think that the questions were rhetorical). So for those who have been thru this, once verballed should your DD still attend other camps? Email other coaches? Attend national recruiting events like ondeck but avoid individual college camps? What specific advice would you have for someone who is verballed but not signed?

In other words - a consistent theme is that you must keep your options open after verballing. My question is - how do you do that without tarnishing the relationship you have with the coach you verballed to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2010
I think Hannah Akamine sat out last season at Tennessee and she's now with Oregon State???

Yep, a freshman catcher came in who was much better and there just wasn't a spot for her anymore--which sort of goes along with the theme. If someone better comes along, you are history. :) In Tennessee's defense, Akamine had a lot to do with their loss in the college world series. Passed balls on catchable pitches at that level? That's unacceptable.

Apr 1, 2010
This is all pretty darned scary, btw. =:-O

DD used to be certain she wanted to play in college, now she's not so sure. She does know she wants a good academic school and a "hard" major. Something in the sciences or engineering or perhaps pharmacy, etc. Lifetime career definitely trumps big-time softball for us.

Sep 18, 2011
Not to be evasive on this but to be honest, I think every situation is different. We did stop all other recruiting efforts. Then, heartache. We had to jump back in and fast. I really don't know what to tell you.

No worries. i don't really think that there is an answer. And quite frankly we're going to go against the flow here and assume that the verbal IS binding. I know my DD feels that it is binding on her. I mean the very idea of reaching out to any other coach or pursue other options is unthinkable. We understand that many others have been burned but we're going to enjoy the honeymoon stage for as long as it lasts and continue to hope for the best. We have been duly warned. But we're not ready to emotionally detach.

Feb 7, 2013
No worries. i don't really think that there is an answer. And quite frankly we're going to go against the flow here and assume that the verbal IS binding. I know my DD feels that it is binding on her. I mean the very idea of reaching out to any other coach or pursue other options is unthinkable. We understand that many others have been burned but we're going to enjoy the honeymoon stage for as long as it lasts and continue to hope for the best. We have been duly warned. But we're not ready to emotionally detach.

I'm sure things will work out for your DD. I have to believe that the vast majority of verbals are honored otherwise all of these football, baseball, basketball, etc players would not be doing it. If you are a university that starts getting a reputation for not honoring their commitments the whole university will suffer not just the softball program. Be smart but don't let all the naysayers here try to shatter your DDs dreams. Good luck!

Jun 18, 2010
But ya...not a huge Mizzou follower, but didn't a pitcher just transfer? (Dd said the other one is really enjoying it there)

Tori Finucane is still at Mizzou
Casey Stangle transferred to Washington.
The 2017 verbal is the 70mph flame thrower Lauren Rice

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One
Chelsea-Thomas-Mizzou-Softball-2013.jpg

But ya...not a huge Mizzou follower, but didn't a pitcher just transfer? (Dd said the other one is really enjoying it there)

You talking about Casey Stangel who went to Washington after being unhappy taking a back seat to Tori Finucane? Earlywine then had to scramble to find a 2015 to step in and produce. FWIW - This is Chelsea Thomas who in now throwing for the Pride in the NPF.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010

That seems like a good attitude to me. Sure it may go south down the road, but if you and your DD never get to savor her triumphs, then what's all that hard work for? Life's too short not to stop and smell the roses when you have the chance. Besides, if there is a glitch, the wonderful folks at DFP who've been through this will be here for advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl