Schools rescinding offers....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Sure there are success stories out there. In fact, I'd surmise that there are a lot of success stories out there. The point was that until that name is on the NLI, beware that there is a possibility that things will change. I hope those of you that have had your dd verbal early get to go through the process w/o disappointment.

Per envy or jealousy, I am neither. I did find out the truth about the process the hard way.

I guess we will not know if they are, or are not, success stories until they sign their NLI....

Getting to the NLI is one thing. Performing for 4 years is something else.

Mar 26, 2013
I always thought these were the same thing?
You have a lot of company, however they're different. Wikipedia explains it as follows...

"Envy" and "jealousy" are often used interchangeably in common usage, but the words stand for two distinct emotions. Jealousy is the result or fear of losing someone or something that one is attached to or possesses to another person (the transfer of a lover's affections in the typical form), while envy is the resentment caused by another person having something that one does not have, but desires for oneself.

To your point I would like to hear some success stories also. However, they seem to be few and far between. It would be interesting to know how often these early verbals (grades 8-10) to top programs actually go on to deliver as expected for 4 years.
You're looking for 2010s or earlier to have played for 4 years. I expect there were some, but I don't know of any.

UMassFan started his verbal thread in 2008 and these are the 2011s that were recorded as sophomores:

ASU - Amber Freeman
CAL - Danielle Henderson, Cheyenne Cordes, Breana Kostreba
UCLA - Ally Carda, Stephany La Rosa
WA - Kasey Stancek, Courtney Gano

AL - Leslie Jury
FL - Alyssa Bache, Lauren Haeger
OK - Callie Parsons
GA - Niaja Griffin
TN - Cheyenne Tarango, Hannah Akamine

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Every pitcher Erlywhine (put in any other power conference coach name) gets verballed early.... The coaches and parents talk negative, then do it, so its BS. There are a few local showcases here still going on (coaching changes, etc), and some of the junior/senior pitchers that are left uncommitted are mystifying.

Bees buzzing in the bonnet over the next new young stud, just like silly season in TB.

Umm I personally know 2 of the biggest names he recruited....senior and summer before.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
One
Chelsea-Thomas-Mizzou-Softball-2013.jpg

But ya...not a huge Mizzou follower, but didn't a pitcher just transfer? (Dd said the other one is really enjoying it there)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Coach Ehren Earleywine was always pretty good to my daughter when he had conversations with her. In fact, he picked her to be a demonstrator for one of his speeches when she was in 8th grade. I can't say that I have had conversations with anyone currently playing for him but wanted to mention that in my personal experience, he acted like a good man.

Likewise he was very nice to my DD. Very nice guy.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
You have a lot of company, however they're different. Wikipedia explains it as follows...

"Envy" and "jealousy" are often used interchangeably in common usage, but the words stand for two distinct emotions. Jealousy is the result or fear of losing someone or something that one is attached to or possesses to another person (the transfer of a lover's affections in the typical form), while envy is the resentment caused by another person having something that one does not have, but desires for oneself.

You're looking for 2010s or earlier to have played for 4 years. I expect there were some, but I don't know of any.

UMassFan started his verbal thread in 2008 and these are the 2011s that were recorded as sophomores:

ASU - Amber Freeman
CAL - Danielle Henderson, Cheyenne Cordes, Breana Kostreba
UCLA - Ally Carda, Stephany La Rosa
WA - Kasey Stancek, Courtney Gano

AL - Leslie Jury
FL - Alyssa Bache, Lauren Haeger
OK - Callie Parsons
GA - Niaja Griffin
TN - Cheyenne Tarango, Hannah Akamine

I think Hannah Akamine sat out last season at Tennessee and she's now with Oregon State???

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
One of my 11yo students just went to Candrea's winter camp. I asked her a lot of questions. I asked her what he said about grades and the answer was what we would expect - that the grades need to be 99% A's. But then, she volunteered, that he stressed - We are always watching. Do you have family support? Are you respectful? Are you goofing off, when others are working? Would your HS teachers give you a good recommendation? And, know that just any bit of non-sense on Twitter, etc. is being read by us.

He told them that character is #1 and that is what they are looking for.

Character is #1? I'm sure it's important, and perhaps a deal-breaker if character is "bad", but for a college athletic program, saying "character is #1" is nonsense. If you're talking about a scholarship to play softball, all the character in the world isn't going to help if you aren't a great ballplayer.

Some people seem to get bore-sighted on athletic scholarships being THE way to fund a college education. If the grades are "99% A's", then softball probably needs you more than you need it to finance college. A large merit-based academic scholarship is probably more likely than an athletic one. If those A's go with some high test scores, it's a slam-dunk. If there is serious academic ability + financial need, then there are multiple non-softball ways of paying for college.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Character is #1? I'm sure it's important, and perhaps a deal-breaker if character is "bad", but for a college athletic program, saying "character is #1" is nonsense. If you're talking about a scholarship to play softball, all the character in the world isn't going to help if you aren't a great ballplayer.

Some people seem to get bore-sighted on athletic scholarships being THE way to fund a college education. If the grades are "99% A's", then softball probably needs you more than you need it to finance college. A large merit-based academic scholarship is probably more likely than an athletic one. If those A's go with some high test scores, it's a slam-dunk. If there is serious academic ability + financial need, then there are multiple non-softball ways of paying for college.

I agree with most of what you are saying. Although your statements are based on the premise that the primary reason for playing softball is as means to an end to fund an education. That is not always the case, and in highly competitive softball programs it is the exception not the norm.

Last edited:
So why verball early? If what some of you are saying is true and you have a stud 12 player that you believe will progress to be a stud 18 U player there's no need to verball early. The coaches will still want her if she's truly a stud and if for some unseen reason she doesn't end up being the stud the parents have envisioned then she has no place being at that level of school to begin with. As most of you on here know my DD signed in early november with Fairfield University. Now I don't believe any of you have seen her play but in my mind (and I could be right or wrong) I believe she could have played at any level on any team she wanted to, but she decided early on like 7th- 8th grade that she was going to be a nurse and that the top 40 -50 schools in D1 were not going to happen, maybe even further down the list. But she did not want to take a major she didn't have to just to play softball then another 2 or so years to reach her goal of being a nurse. So she chose to put her education before softball to a point and and go to a D1 she would be able to take her major and play softball on a competitive team. Now it isn't a top 25 competitive team but a competitive none the less in their conference and in the next four years she will have an oppertunity to go to the WCW just like every team has. I guess my point is that parents letting their kids verball as early as they are now should think twice before letting them sign because as RB and CB have mentioned things aren't as guaranteed as they once were. Just my .02

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl