Scholarship Program to help kids play-can you offer any advice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
Hello everyone,

I'm developing a small program for our local league to help kids without the means to participate in our travel team: mostly local but one big week long trip and a number of other hotel stays.

Broad construct is that we are a 501(c)(3) org. I'll find some parents that will donate, we'll provide a receipt, and then identify kids/families that need the help.

Key challenge is assessing need without making parents feel ashamed and making it easy to distribute the funds. Can anyone offer sample communications, policies, protocols, etc. That might help me do this quickly and the right way?

Thank you!

May 4, 2014
So Cal
You have families that need it apply and have a small confidential group that reviews the application. You make the whole process confidential and stipulate up front what the criteria is (level of income etc) - people donating do not need to know which family was the beneficiary but entire org should know how much was given in and out (be financially transparent)

The ugly things to keep an eye out for:
1) those take take advantage of it - they claim hardship yet once money is given show up with 50 dollars worth of Starbucks to every practice and game and 600 bats and 400 gloves
2) scholarships don’t go to those in need but as bribes for that great player to join
3) word gets out and others start complaining as to why someone else got the scholarship and not them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019
You have families that need it apply and have a small confidential group that reviews the application. You make the whole process confidential and stipulate up front what the criteria is (level of income etc) - people donating do not need to know which family was the beneficiary but entire org should know how much was given in and out (be financially transparent)

The ugly things to keep an eye out for:
1) those take take advantage of it - they claim hardship yet once money is given show up with 50 dollars worth of Starbucks to every practice and game and 600 bats and 400 gloves
2) scholarships don’t go to those in need but as bribes for that great player to join
3) word gets out and others start complaining as to why someone else got the scholarship and not them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very helpful. Thank you. I'm drafting some documents and very much appreciate the input of others who may have insight on this board.

Apr 8, 2019
I know of a local lacrosse team that does something similar where they work with the Boys and Girls Club of America. It sort of takes the screening out of the process.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06