Saw a OneX in use yesterday.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
It was not technically "Banned", but removed on request due to the manufacturing recall. For purposes of rule enforcement, the bat is "Non-approved" and would carry the same penalties as stepping into the batter's box with any other non-approved bat. In ASA, the player is out and ejected. In USSSA, they are simply out.

I don't want to split hairs much here but I reiterate if the bat did not give a player an advantage then there is no reason for a player to be punished for using it. In other words, if the bat merely has a defect then allow people to exchange the bat at their earliest convenience.
It sounds to me like lawyer speak, enforcing a rule on a bat. Whatever!

Mar 1, 2013
It was not technically "Banned", but removed on request due to the manufacturing recall. For purposes of rule enforcement, the bat is "Non-approved" and would carry the same penalties as stepping into the batter's box with any other non-approved bat. In ASA, the player is out and ejected. In USSSA, they are simply out.

I don't want to split hairs much here but I reiterate if the bat did not give a player an advantage then there is no reason for a player to be punished for using it. In other words, if the bat merely has a defect then allow people to exchange the bat at their earliest convenience.

Not trying to argue with you or "split hairs" either. The bat is not approved in any of the major sanctioning bodies (ASA, PONY, USSSA, NFHS, NCAA). Whatever the reason for the bat to have lost its approval is irrelevant. The bat is non-approved. If the player comes up to bat with it, it's the same as coming up with an OG Freak "100", the FPC305 (-8 catalyst), etc.

In this particular case, the reason for the bat losing its approval was because the manufacturer of the bat deemed it unsafe enough to not only recall ALL models of the bat, but to request that all of the sanctioning bodies withdraw their approval of the bat. To me, that is a serious enough safety issue to warrant the standard punishment for using the bat. I may be safe enough behind the plate in my body armor and mask, but the players and my partner(s) are out there with a whole lot less protection if one of these things flies apart.

Now, when I'm calling a game, I'm checking bats, and unless the player went out of their way to hide it from me on inspection, it will be weeded out and removed from play before the game even starts. If for some reason, it does get missed on the pre-game check and I see a player approach with one, I'm going to give her the benefit of doubt and stop her prior to her reaching the box, too. Preventive officiating, you know?

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I appreciate your aproach the game. TY. Have you seen or heard of any players getting hurt due to a ONEX breaking or coming apart?

Mar 1, 2013
No, I have not personally seen it. Just anecdotal from other umpires in my association.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

Except if the bat breaks in two and ends up with a piece of the bat sticking out of the catchers leg, or upside 3rd bases head. its a safety issue and as such it should not be used. So to protect the other players and the umpires defective and dangerous equipment should not be used under penalty of the rules.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
There was a "loophole", for lack of a better term, in NFHS rules for about a week or so after the recall happened.

ASA removed the OneX models from the approved lists, but did not place them on the Non-Approved list until about a week later. The NFHS rules only say that a bat is illegal if it is on the ASA non-approved list. Since the bats were not on that list, they were technically legal for HS play. Once the three models were placed on the non-approved list by ASA, they became illegal for HS play.

I did find one of these bats in a HS JV game a few days after the recall. Neither the player nor her parents had heard of the recall at that time.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
With the recall in place it would be crazy to use one. LS is taking care of their customers. A girls that plays with my DD had one. In less than a week after calling LS her dad had a new Xeno in his hands. Over the summer they will also receive a 2014 One-X. That's a pretty sweet deal.

Mar 1, 2013
There was a "loophole", for lack of a better term, in NFHS rules for about a week or so after the recall happened.

ASA removed the OneX models from the approved lists, but did not place them on the Non-Approved list until about a week later. The NFHS rules only say that a bat is illegal if it is on the ASA non-approved list. Since the bats were not on that list, they were technically legal for HS play. Once the three models were placed on the non-approved list by ASA, they became illegal for HS play.

I did find one of these bats in a HS JV game a few days after the recall. Neither the player nor her parents had heard of the recall at that time.

Yeah, I guess that is one of the dangers of using another organization's approval standards but not keeping with the letter of how that org does it. By stating, "Bear the stamp and not be on the non-approved list" rather than (like ASA) stating, "Bear the stamp, be on the approved list and not on the non-approved list" they create that loophole.

PIAA (Pennsylvania's version of NFHS) adopts NFHS rules with certain modifications. One of them is to take the NFHS bat rule (which, as noted, goes roughly by the ASA bat rule) and cross out the 2000 mark, so only the 2004 mark is permitted. But PIAA also goes a step further by establishing their own non-approved bat list: "Rule 1-5-1 d…. The bat shall: meet the 2004 ASA Bat Performance Standard, bear the 2004 ASA Certification mark, and not be on the non-approved list as found on the softball page at www.piaa.org"

So, even though ASA had the oneX on the non-approved list, closing the NFHS loophole, PIAA opened their own loophole until they updated their own non-approved list (which they have done now).

Alphabet soup of sanctions and the rule differences can make your head swim.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We played a tournament two weeks ago and the first pitch temp was @ 40 degrees. A couple of girls used their OneX figuring they have to send them back anyway, so what did they have to lose? It is not like the bats are too "hot" for league play, they are just prone to cracking.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl