Running past first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Re-reading the rules (ASA), noticed that the responsibilities spelled out for the batter-runner running past first base are mostly given in the lookback rule section, under the conditions that the pitcher has the ball in the circle. From a rulebook standpoint I am trying to understand where the rules are spelled out when the pitcher doesn't yet have the ball.

The most typical scenario is say the first baseman has the ball on a late throw. Do all the same rules apply as far as being able to safely return to first apply, and the rules about making an attempt to go to second? I just don't see where those rules are spelled out but surely I am missing something obvious.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks that makes sense. Wasn't thinking. I guess all of the turn this way and that only needs to apply with the pitcher in control of the ball in the circle. Other than that, all I need to care about is:

batter can always overrun without risk of being put out, whether it's a close play, a clean hit to the outfield, or a walk, as long as they don't make an attempt to 2nd

Is this right?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
However, should you play under NCAA/NJCAA rules the play is live until the runner comes back and makes contact with 1st base. We leverage this in showcases or when playing college teams. Runner runs past and then walks back toward 1st base. Then with ball in circle F4 and F6 will abandon 2nd base thinking play is over. Runner does not make contact with 1st and runs to 2nd base. Pandemonium ensues as opposing coach and fans go nuts. :)

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
Thanks that makes sense. Wasn't thinking. I guess all of the turn this way and that only needs to apply with the pitcher in control of the ball in the circle. Other than that, all I need to care about is:

batter can always overrun without risk of being put out, whether it's a close play, a clean hit to the outfield, or a walk, as long as they don't make an attempt to 2nd

Is this right?

Yes, and they can
turn to the left,
turn to the right,
go back to first in fair territory,
go back to first base in foul territory.
As long as the BR does not make an attempt to go to 2nd then they can return to 1B without liability to be put out.

Mar 26, 2013
Asa 8.4.i?
8.7.H (Runner is out) and 8.8.I (Runner is not out) are better references.

As 3afan posted, simply turning towards the left isn't an attempt as long as it is just part of returning to 1B. On the other hand, something as small as a lean or half-step towards 2B is an attempt. We got an out after an errant throw to 1B when an aggressive runner took a half-step towards 2B before seeing the throw didn't get away. I yelled to tag her, ump called her out and her dad went ballistic. A couple weeks later we were coaching all-stars together when Andruw Jones was called out on a similar play for a subtle lean towards 2B.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl