Runners tagged out but....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

So I'm watching the Iowa / Wisconsin game from this past weekend and was amazed no one saw this...or perhaps I just don't know the rule.
1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Batter slaps ball to the 3b playing just in front of the bag and gets the runner on 3rd(who took off for home) in a rundown between home and 3rd. Tosses the ball to the catcher who chases her down holding the ball in her right hand anticipating a toss to SS now covering 3rd. Catcher dives and tags runner out about 10 feet in front of 3b with her empty mitt. Catcher pops up wanting to make another play as runner on 2b went to 3rd and the slap hittier coasted into 2b. Since catcher clearly didn't have the ball in her mitt when she tagged runner, isn;t that considered a non tag?
The runner that got in the rundown wasn't close enough to 3b as she ran back in case your wondering if there were 2 runners ON 3rd...not even close. So after the play its now 2 outs runners on 2hd and 3rd. Not one of the coaches argued about the empty mitt tagging their runner. I thought it was wierd cause the ball in her throwing hand was clearly visible as the tag was applied with her mitt.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I watched some of this game but didn't see that particular play. So I can't comment on any other circumstances that might have led to the out call.

But...as far as the tag, you are right. To tag a runner the ball must be securely held in the hand or glove that actually touches the runner.

Jun 22, 2008
I had the game recorded and went back and watched the play. It does appear in real time that she may have tagged her with an empty glove, but I watched it in slow motion and the catcher puts the ball in her glove just before the tag and then takes it right back out after the tag.

I had the game recorded and went back and watched the play. It does appear in real time that she may have tagged her with an empty glove, but I watched it in slow motion and the catcher puts the ball in her glove just before the tag and then takes it right back out after the tag.

I guess I should re-think starting my career as an ump. And get with the times and hook up a tevo. I'm placing blame on the Jack and cokes....
Thanks for clearing that up for me Comp

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA