Rundowns - Anything different from baseball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Would you teach rundowns the same in softball as in baseball? I could see how the smaller field could be a factor, but I can't think of any specific way it might be different.

Jul 22, 2015
Would you teach rundowns the same in softball as in baseball? I could see how the smaller field could be a factor, but I can't think of any specific way it might be different.
We teach everything pretty much the same as I learned it in baseball, except it is even more important to force the runner to commit to their direction before making a throw. The biggest mistake I see fielders make is that they don't run hard at the baserunner in order to force them to decide which base they will move towards. The distance is so short that if you allow a runner to bait a throw when they haven't committed it is pretty easy to beat the throw back the other direction.

Feb 25, 2019
I teach rundowns the same way I did as a baseball coach. My guess is that is 100% opposite of almost everyone here.

We do not chase runners with the ball unless we can put a tag on immediately. If my defensive player is unable to put a tag on the runner she clears herself to get a throwing path, the defensive player at the other base will close the distance under control, when she is in position to catch the ball and put a tag on the runner she calls for the ball, she should catch it in stride and be able to put a tag on the runner (this take practice). Most runners will simply be running away from the ball and run into an easy out. The play is over immediately and we are not giving up bases anywhere else on the field.

If the girls calls for ball and catches and cannot put a tag on the runner the other girls begins to close and we repeat. Since I have been teaching it this way, I can say the majority of my rundowns are done in one throw, and almost 100% of them are done in two throws.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
I teach rundowns the same way I did as a baseball coach. My guess is that is 100% opposite of almost everyone here.

We do not chase runners with the ball unless we can put a tag on immediately. If my defensive player is unable to put a tag on the runner she clears herself to get a throwing path, the defensive player at the other base will close the distance under control, when she is in position to catch the ball and put a tag on the runner she calls for the ball, she should catch it in stride and be able to put a tag on the runner (this take practice). Most runners will simply be running away from the ball and run into an easy out. The play is over immediately and we are not giving up bases anywhere else on the field.

If the girls calls for ball and catches and cannot put a tag on the runner the other girls begins to close and we repeat. Since I have been teaching it this way, I can say the majority of my rundowns are done in one throw, and almost 100% of them are done in two throws.
Interesting...

May 16, 2016
My guess is that is 100% opposite of almost everyone here.

You guessed right. LOL

1. Charge after runner with ball.
2. Do not throw until runner is "close" to teammate receiving ball.
3. Receiving teammate should be in motion towards runner, so she has momentum while runner is stopping to change directions. This is where you get the one throw out.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010

I like that.

Mar 22, 2019
We do the same as mmeece, because the distance is so short that it is easy for the player to score/advance if you don't make sure to push them back first. Have seen too many times a girl will take 1/3rd of a lead off, and just wait for you to dare throw behind her (then score when you don't chase them back). Really, other than that things are the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles