Run Scores??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
As the play was described; probably not, but it could happen.

Maybe not very likely...but it was your scenario, not mine! :rolleyes:

More likely would be that at the time of the interference the batter-runner had advanced close enough to first base (but not yet reached it) that the umpire could judge there was no play there (ie: no chance for F4 to retire the B/R with a throw).

Or maybe not. Those are all things the umpire has to see and judge for himself.

If F6 is only 1 step clear of the bag, and the runner can reach/touch the bag with her slide, the runner contact w/ F6 doesn't seem like a clear cut INT call to me. Thoughts?

Definitely "had to be there". The part that might make a diference- the OP said that the runner "changed directions" prior to sliding. Kind of makes it sound like she went out of her way, away from the base, to go after the fielder.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
Maybe not very likely...but it was your scenario, not mine! :rolleyes:

More likely would be that at the time of the interference the batter-runner had advanced close enough to first base (but not yet reached it) that the umpire could judge there was no play there (ie: no chance for F4 to retire the B/R with a throw).

Or maybe not. Those are all things the umpire has to see and judge for himself.

I was simply being precise according to the wording of the rule. A run does not score when the batter-runner is put out before touching first base.

Scenarios are possible where the interference makes the batter-runner out for the third out, after touching first base, in which case the run would count if it scored before the interference. If the interference makes the B-R out for the third out, before touching first, then it doesn't matter that a runner touched home before that. The run will NOT count.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles