Run Scores??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Runners at first and third one out. ASA rules. Batter hits to F4 who throws to F6 at 2nd base for force out, F6 takes step off bag to clear a lane and make a throw to first, runner changes course and slides into F6. Umpire calls interference on the already retired runner but says since runner from third touched home first that the run scores.

Interference is always a judgement call, lets assume that is the correct call, but I don't believe the run should score. Even if there were no outs before the play, wouldn't the runner closest to home be called out based on the retired runners interference?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Runners at first and third one out. ASA rules. Batter hits to F4 who throws to F6 at 2nd base for force out, F6 takes step off bag to clear a lane and make a throw to first, runner changes course and slides into F6. Umpire calls interference on the already retired runner but says since runner from third touched home first that the run scores.

Interference is always a judgement call, lets assume that is the correct call, but I don't believe the run should score. Even if there were no outs before the play, wouldn't the runner closest to home be called out based on the retired runners interference?

If the runner that started at third scored BEFORE the interference, who do you think the runner closest to home is?

Hint: It would be the batter-runner

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

No need to assume, it is the correct call. As long as the runner touched the plate prior to the act of interference, that is a done deal.

Feb 3, 2011
In this case as described, doesn't the INT call mean that the batter-runner is also out, which ends the inning after the run has scored?

I'm assuming that F6 would've been able to make a routine throw to 1B in an effort to retire the b-r had the runner not interfered with the throw attempt.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In this case as described, doesn't the INT call mean that the batter-runner is also out, which ends the inning after the run has scoredu?

I'm assuming that F6 would've been able to make a routine throw to 1B in an effort to retire the b-r had the runner not interfered with the throw attempt.

Not necessarily, but maybe. You cannot assume anything, only deal with what the OP offers.

May 16, 2010

Rule 8-7-P says the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be declared out.

If the runner from third, touched home before the interference, then the batter is out, because she is the closest to home at the time of the interference.

If the runner from third had NOT touched home at the time of the interference, then she would be out.

In your play, I believe the run does not count, because the batter-runner was declared out for the third out.

Rule 5-5-B(1)

Unless the batter-runner had touched first before the interference.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
In this case as described, doesn't the INT call mean that the batter-runner is also out, which ends the inning after the run has scored?

Rule 8-7-P says the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference shall be declared out.

In this play, since the batter-runner was declared out for the third out, I believe the run does not count.

Rule 5-5-B(1)

Unless the batter-runner had touched first before the interference. ??

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

In this play, since the batter-runner was declared out for the third out, I believe the run does not count.

Rule 5-5-B(1)

Unless the batter-runner had touched first before the interference. ??

If the batter-runner had already touched first, then you can't have interference because there would be no play to be interfered with.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

If F6 is only 1 step clear of the bag, and the runner can reach/touch the bag with her slide, the runner contact w/ F6 doesn't seem like a clear cut INT call to me. Thoughts?

May 16, 2010
If the batter-runner had already touched first, then you can't have interference because there would be no play to be interfered with.

As the play was described; probably not, but it could happen.

There could be a delay between when the runner is put out and when the fielder attempts a play and is hindered in that play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00