Rule Question - Can Fielder hit runner with ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
Hi there! A lot of weekends a group of friends get together and we play softball together. A situation occurred where there was a little bit of disagreement about the rules. I have tried searching for the answer, but am finding it difficult to find the answer. I'm pretty sure I am right, but just want some confirmation. :)

I was on first base. My teammate swung and hit the ball, and it was a grounder right over to the first baseman. He scooped up the ball, tagged first for the out, and then tried to throw to second to beat me to second. He underthrew the ball though, and it clocked me in the ankle, then bounced to the infield. The second baseman ran and grabbed it, but obviously by this time I was on second base.

The first baseman said that I was out because I'd been "tagged" by the ball. I said that I was safe because I hadn't been "tagged" by the second baseman. I made the point that if it was legal to just throw the ball at a runner to get him out, there would be a lot more injuries in the game, not to mention what is the point of "trapping" a runner between 2 bases? Just clock him and get him out.

He did let me keep the base (we're all friends after all), but I was just curious. When there is no force out at a base, I need to be tagged by opposing player who is holding the ball, don't I? I can't be out by an opponent throwing the ball and hitting me, can I?

Thanks!

May 26, 2010
Woops, I guess there WAS a force-out at second in this situation, but even so, the question stands. :-D

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
No, you can't be put out by a ball thrown at you. It sounds as if he's trying to use kickball rules where the kids use what they call "pegging" to put out a runner. Basically, they throw the big rubber ball at the runner. A kickball doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as a softball would.

Jan 15, 2009
All rule sets I know of, that is a live ball play on. ASA 8.8.G.1 The runner is not out when off a base when touched by a ball not securely held by a fielder.

Mar 15, 2010
I used to play street baseball when I was a kid and if you hit the runner in the back they were out. Then Bobby Mitchell got tagged in the head and it took 6 stitches to close the wound. After that our moms didn't let us play street baseball anymore.

May 26, 2010
Actually, you said they had "tagged first for the out". Therefore the force at second was removed.

While that may be true, the first baseman had the ball on first when the force was removed! I wasn't going back there! haha! :D

May 25, 2010
All rule sets I know of, that is a live ball play on. ASA 8.8.G.1 The runner is not out when off a base when touched by a ball not securely held by a fielder.

If a batted ball hits a runner in fair territory before being touched by a defender, the runner is out, correct?

Mar 15, 2010
If a batted ball hits a runner in fair territory before being touched by a defender, the runner is out, correct?

Not necessarily. Per Rule 8.8.D the runner is NOT out: When a runner is hit with a fair, untouched batted ball that has passed an infielder, excluding the pitcher, and, in the umpire's judgment no other fielder had an opportunity to make an out.

With that said in 20 years of coaching I have never been privileged to witness a batter hit by the ball and not be called out. I imagine this rule has been invoked somewhere but not in any of the games I have coached.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
With that said in 20 years of coaching I have never been privileged to witness a batter hit by the ball and not be called out. I imagine this rule has been invoked somewhere but not in any of the games I have coached.

Huh? Every time you have seen a batter hit with the pitch they have been called out? I'm sure that isn't what you mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan