Ripit mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Does anyone have that thread bookmarked where someone posted a picture of using a tie to attach the chin pad to the mask?

The Rip-it velcro should be replaced right out of the box. The factory version is a cheap POS. The engineering is fine, but the materials are crap! The chin piece will stay securely in place if an appropriate (HEAVY duty) piece of velcro is used instead of the original. There is absolutely no need for the hassle of a cable tie.

Simply remove the og velcro and discard it. Then replace with heavy duty wide velcro tape. I have seen some in the automotive section at Walmart. It is 2" wide.

I used an industrial velcro on my DD's Ripit. It is the stuff we use in the ER to secure a matress to a gurney. A zillion games and practices later and it has never fallen off once.

Merry Christmas!
VW

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Got a new chin pad from Rip It in the mail a couple of weeks ago. They were on BO for a while, but the new one has the entire back material of the pad itself made out of velcro material. No more worrying about the velcro comming unglued from the pad. MUCH better, but it can still get pulled off the mask and wind up in the bottom of the bat bag, which I think is the point of the cable tie idea.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
I took a soldering iron and burned a hole on one side of the chin piece and threaded a cable tie through and around the bottom wire of the mask. Works like a charm and no more lost chin piece. You can't even see the cable tie (black on black).

Jan 1, 2011
Alabama
I took a RIP-IT replacement chin pad, Velcro cable ties, glue and needle and black thread and got a very good look.
118_0349.jpg
1 cut the cable ties in to 4 pieces 2" long
2 lightly glue (hot or super) the four cable tie pieces equal distant from each
118_0350.jpg
3 stitch the cable ties to the chin pad careful not to go all the way through the pad
4 then attach and rap
118_0351.jpg

Jul 28, 2008
I took the chin strap from her Gameface and put it in the RipIt. No problems since. She actually prefers the Gameface chinstrap.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I bought a padded "All Star" football helmet chin stap from Academy and used cup off of it. A couple of zip ties later my DD loves it. Says it is much more comfortable than the original.

Jan 5, 2012
I sent an email to Rip-it Sports and expressed my concerns of the poor quality of the the chin pad design(no staying attached). Customer service replied and sent me a new redesigned pad free of charge. New pad seems to work great so far. Although, early in season but feels like it attached much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1