Revfire owners help please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
Is there a specific training regimen to use with Revfire softballs to increase spin rate? Or is the Revfire spin rate feedback in of itself with regular pitching instruction enough to help pitchers increase spin rate(movement) and velocity of pitches? I am considering buying one and what to know the advantages first. Thanks
TM

Mar 30, 2009
i have one for my DD and we use it a pitching lessons. her coach warms her up and checks spin rate and speed at the beging and end of practice. her spin rate has already started going up just from making her aware of what it is. we love it

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
The spin rate knowledge is so cool. Otherwise it is sort of like hitting a baseball in the dark. You have no idea where the ball went or how far. The system is kind of expensive but it can be used as a treat also. We don't pull it out every time. When we do, it will be for about 10 throws and if she hits a goal for at least 3 of those pitches then its treat time. My wife still thinks it was foolish at that price, but I think it was more than worth it. It also levels the playing field when you have a group of girls using it, especially around their parents. That can be kind of humorous. The spin rate # is incredibly accurate vs. the more conventional mph.

Jan 23, 2009
We recently bought a Revfire. It has read my DD (16) fastball at 17 RPS, 57MHP. On a Jugs gun she generally tops out at 60MHP. My question, is there any velocity benefit to reducing spin for fastball. (Yes, she will still throw 10-20 fastballs a game to move batters feet or as an up change)

Mar 3, 2010
I also think the rev fire is a neat tool to make the girl aware of her spin rate and to practice spinning the ball faster but I do not believe that simply spinning the ball faster will translate into more movement. I know that sounds crazy but if she cannot get the correct number of seams turned into the wind all the spin in the world will not make it move. I watched this in person a few weeks ago at a pitching clinic. Some girls while all throwing the same pitch would get a spin rate of 17 or 18 would get great movement while others with a spind rate over 20 were just flat. I still like the device but there is more to gettting movement than simply spinning the ball. A knuckle ball will move and it doesnt even spin... it is more about the seams IMO...

G

Mar 30, 2009
I also think the rev fire is a neat tool to make the girl aware of her spin rate and to practice spinning the ball faster but I do not believe that simply spinning the ball faster will translate into more movement. I know that sounds crazy but if she cannot get the correct number of seams turned into the wind all the spin in the world will not make it move. I watched this in person a few weeks ago at a pitching clinic. Some girls while all throwing the same pitch would get a spin rate of 17 or 18 would get great movement while others with a spind rate over 20 were just flat. I still like the device but there is more to gettting movement than simply spinning the ball. A knuckle ball will move and it doesnt even spin... it is more about the seams IMO...

G
you are right about the seams but thats what different grips on pitches do, a 4 seam is flat and a 2 seam has movement. the faster the spin on the 2 seam the later the break at the plate, the same for the screw and curve. more spin and and speed on the 4 seam makes it flat and strait. a knuckle does move alot but it is slow and very unpredictable, my son is a baseball pitcher and my DD is a fastpitch pitcher.

Mar 3, 2010
you are right about the seams but thats what different grips on pitches do, a 4 seam is flat and a 2 seam has movement. the faster the spin on the 2 seam the later the break at the plate, the same for the screw and curve. more spin and and speed on the 4 seam makes it flat and strait. a knuckle does move alot but it is slow and very unpredictable, my son is a baseball pitcher and my DD is a fastpitch pitcher.

I guess that is kind of the point I was trying to make... The pitcher need to work just as hard getting the seams into the wind as they do just spinning the ball. I would take a little less spin if the seams are perfect... if you have both then you are Cat Osterman...

G

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA