Reverse Leadoff

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We had a strange situation in a U16 boys game last night here (Ontario, Canada). This is TB but would be considered rec level by your standards. PU was an emergency call-up who has not actively worked games for several years. BU is known to be generally uninterested in softball. Let the fun begin.
R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st. Batter swings and misses on low pitch. Ball deflects off catcher and bounces to side screen as runners both advance. Ball is returned to pitcher in circle then for some unknown reason 1BCoach yells at R2 to come back to first (I can only assume he thought it was a foul ball). R2 begins jogging to first then stops and reverses towards second again (probably realized something wasn't right here). Pitcher was oblivious to anything going on and made no attempt at a play on runner. PU yells "Runner out for lead-off". The yelling apparently startled pitcher because he proceeded to throw to 2nd trying to get the runner out again :confused: Wild throw goes into CF and R1 scores from third.
As the offensive team was clearly over-matched in the game by this point and the umpires were in over their heads there was no appeal by the defense.

I was unable to find anything in the Softball Canada rulebook or umpire casebook pertaining to a runner leaving his rightfully attained base to return to a previously held one. Lead-off rules talk about a runner attempting to advance to the NEXT base. Does ASA have anything on the subject? Any thoughts?

My call from the sidelines: I agreed with the lead-off call based on runner leaving base while pitcher controlled the ball in the circle. When the call was made it should have been dead ball so R1 could not advance beyond third.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...I agreed with the lead-off call based on runner leaving base while pitcher controlled the ball in the circle. When the call was made it should have been dead ball so R1 could not advance beyond third.

I'm not familiar with Softball Canada rules, but I understand they are pretty close to ASA. If the lookback rule is the same, the part of your post that I quoted would be the correct call.

Jun 22, 2010
Well, ASA (I don't know Softball Canada either) doesn't actually use the term "leadoff" (except in the 16" rules). It says that the runner is out:

When the runner fails to keep contact with the base to which the runner is entitled until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.
Doesn't talk about which direction.

That said, in this situation in particular, I agree that what we had was a LBR violation.

You would be correct. ASA does not care where the runner is going it only says once stopped on a base and the pitcher has the ball in the circle they are declared out if they leave the base.

The ball is also declared dead. It sounds like everything else happen after the umpires declaration so the runner would go back to their base.

Jun 5, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the responses.
To close out the discussion apparently I overlooked the relevant section where Softball Canada rules do cover it. Same result as with ASA. There is no call of "Lead-off" (that verbal call was outdated mechanics from PU) and we do have the same LBR although it is not specifically named. Everything is covered in the excerpt below.

RULE 8. BATTER-RUNNER AND RUNNER
Sec. 9 THE RUNNER IS OUT

t. When he is legitimately off his base after a pitch, or as a result of a batter completing
his turn at bat and, while the pitcher has the ball within the pitcher’s circle, he does
not immediately return to his base, or attempt to advance to the next base.
EFFECT – Sec. 9t:
1. The ball is dead and all other runners must return to the last legally held base
at the time of the runner being declared out.
2. Failure to immediately proceed to the next base, or return to his base,
once the pitcher has the ball within the pitcher’s circle, shall result in the
runner being declared out.
3. Once the runner returns to a base for any reason, he shall be declared out if
he leaves said base, unless:
a. A play is made on him or another runner (a fake throw is considered a
play); or
b. The pitcher no longer has possession of the ball within the pitcher’s circle; or
c. The pitcher releases the ball by a pitch to the batter.
NOTE: A base on balls, or dropped third strike in which the runner is entitled to run,
is treated the same as a batted ball. The batter-runner may continue past first base,
and is entitled to run toward second base, as long as he does not stop at first base. If
he stops after he rounds first base, he then must comply with Effect 2 above.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad