recruitment vs. scholarship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
As a parent/ coach of a solid B team. What should I do for my dd and my team to get them some more exposure to some schools / coaches. Honestly, Im not working with any D1 prospects... but most of them could play D2 and might could be a superstar on a D3 roster if their grades are up to par. Besides the normal tb schedule, is there a protocol to getting them some decent exposure? Or am I limited to cheesy you tube videos or expensive camps that are probably just looking to turn a profit...

If your a solid B team, play A, challenge your girls to play against better competition. You are doing yourself no favors playing B while thinking of getting college coaches to notice anyone. I have never seen a college coach at a B tournament. Play A and go to exposure tournaments in the fall when college ball is over.

And a final note if you got girls that could play Div2 or be a superstar on a D3 roster you should have been playing A a long time ago. Sandbagging at the B level to win, win, win is really all about a coaches ego.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
As far as my competition... we are a good b team. We will play where ever we can that is within reasonable driving distance. If your implying Im sandbagging talent to trophy hunt... you clearly dont know me. Yes, we win more than we loose in our small market. We have played against A teams... and held our own. We just dont have the resources or money to play the high dollar tourneys (showcases) as much as we' d like to.

Jan 20, 2010
As far as my competition... we are a good b team. We will play where ever we can that is within reasonable driving distance. If your implying Im sandbagging talent to trophy hunt... you clearly dont know me. Yes, we win more than we loose in our small market. We have played against A teams... and held our own. We just dont have the resources or money to play the high dollar tourneys (showcases) as much as we' d like to.

No not at all trying to say you are a trophy hunter.....Point is......If you have girls that you think would be superstars on at a D3 school and have girls that you think could play D2..... play A. Im not talking weekday friendly double headers, I am talking tournaments. Give the perspective colleges a copy of your schedule so they can see your girls play. Chances are if your playing in a B tournament no coach is going to come.

There are just as many A tournaments as there are B tournaments. And they cost the same. Showcases are expensive and see your point. Hopefully you can see mine. You are doing your girls no favor by playing B if you have that much "talent" on your team that you use the word "superstar" when talking of playing in college. D3 schools have very talented girls and just because they go to a D3 does not mean they can not ball it up. Some if not a lot of those girls turned down offers for D2 and D1 because of the major they pick.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
D3 is primarily girls who put academics above athletics... and there are plenty of ballers in D3. So I didnt mean to imply that they are lesser athletes. I am a small town coach. Im doing my best to help these kids reach their potential. I get what your saying about the A vs. B tourneys and I agree with you, but when I am given the choice of an hour drive to a B tourney or a 2 -1/2 hr drive with a hotel stay for an A..... see my point? There just isnt enough money in the pot. Small town = small sponsors, and the average parent around here cant afford the big money entry fees or the constant hotel stay trips. So we'll do one or two "big" tourneys a year and all the rest are smaller more affordable tourneys. Fundraising money isnt getting any easier.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
If you Coached my DD ... I want trophies!!!

This just in from another post minutes ago...

One of the nice things about high school softball is the opportunity to get some media recognition. That's great that you're in an area where HS softball is covered well. Amid all the bashing of HS ball, I think it's important to remember that the only people who care about travel ball are the kids who play it, their parents, coaches, officials. Travel ball teams don't have fans. Our daughters' friends and schoolmates and teachers don't care about their travel teams. They're not newsworthy. The high school team that wins a regional or state championship is newsworthy. And it's newsworthy for a reason - It matters to more people.

after reading this, I'll say it again... I want trophies!!! :{))

Jan 20, 2010
If you Coached my DD ... I want trophies!!!

This just in from another post minutes ago...

after reading this, I'll say it again... I want trophies!!![/COLOR] :{))

At what level of competition? If your winning B tournaments on a regular basis would it be wise to move up to A and see how well your talented teams performs????

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
At what level of competition? If your winning B tournaments on a regular basis would it be wise to move up to A and see how well your talented teams performs????

We play all A... invitationals.... BUT I still want trophy's :{)) Going all over getting your but kicked doesn't help. Play your orgs older teams better yet practice with them. You can't even get into play the best A teams as a B, except maybe a friendly early in the summer season.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2009
I like D3 for my dd for a couple of reasons... Im not kidding anyone or her or even myself to think shes a D1 prospect. Shes good and works hard, but its not in her cards to be the next whoever... She is extremely intelligent and cerebral. We want her academics to come first, and ball is secondary. BTW she has decided on a medical major...orthopedic surgeon to be specific. Does this major affect her time on a ball field? Reason I ask is, a guy once told me a story about his dd getting offered a partial to Anderson University in Indiana (Christian school) two years ago. The school supposedly revoked the tuition when she refused to change her major to general from medical (nursing). Could this be true? Anderson is the D3 back to back national champs, so they take their softball pretty serious. Since this school is my dds top pick, do we have anything to worry about as far as them wanting a different major?

If your DD wants to go to med school, think NESCAC, New England Small College Athletic Conference. Some of the best schools in the country, med schools are loaded with their grads. Academics always come first and they all have great athletic programs. Look at the NESCAC site NESCAC look at all the DIII national championships the conference has won. My DD plays field hockey (2012 National Champs) and softball (#4 in 2012) while majoring in engineering. Last Spring, one of our starting pitchers had an Organic Chem exam on a game day when the team was traveling to a school 2.5 hours away, coach arranged for her to pick up a school owned vehicle used by the athletic dept to drive to the game, she got there late but pitched the first game of a double header the next morning. Linfield and Pacific Lutheran probably could have gone a long way in the DII nationals. By the way, the Anderson story is pure fiction on so many levels, maybe they are NAIA but not NCAA DIII.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck