The view from the other side: How to really get recruited!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Warrior Mike...I won't lie a questionable parent situation is certainly not a motivator for a college staff to recruit their student athlete. As college coaches we are always watching every interaction a prospective student athlete has with other teammates, umpires and parents. Character is an issue and sometimes the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. At our level team chemistry is paramount because the girls spend so much time together. If parents are being negative in the stands or undermining the coaching on phone calls or texts to their DD nobody wins...so yes parent behavior is also considered.

Soooooooooo you're saying I have to behave????

Dang it! LOL

On another note, I posted this on my Facebook, has to share this for sure. Good job on this post.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
we had several athletes who ended up at colleges, in my opinion, beneath their academic or athletic potential.

This says a lot about my experiences. We stress the same things that you have outlined, it is a shame that some girls believe and others do not

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
On a side note, watched GA Tech and Notre Dame last Saturday afternoon. Your girls played hard and won one of the most exciting college games I've ever seen in person. The Tech girls know how to compete.

Nov 29, 2009
Soooooooooo you're saying I have to behave????

Dang it! LOL

I sell a parent control kit. It costs $199.99. It consists of a heavy duty chair with loops welded to it. Several feet of 5/8" high-tinsel nylon rope. Custom wrist and ankle restraints with high-carbon loops attached. And a heavy duty gag. I've yet to hear from anyone about the crazy parent escaping from it until released after the game. ;)

Oct 31, 2011
Atlanta
Greenmonsters, you are absolutely right. With no viable post college softball career for these athletes, outside of coaching, the education is what matters. That's why when I handled recruiting for my travel organization we always encouraged parents to look at D2 and D3 options because of the value of the degree. It's a proven fact that graduates of many top academic universities, including Georgia Tech, make significantly more money at their first job and over their lifetime. In reality softball should be viewed as the leverage to get a great education and well paying job...period. And, frankly, the sooner certain parents get off the track that Florida, Oklahoma, Alabama or UCLA are the only schools my DD is interested in the sooner their DD will find a good fit that provides a great softball experience (versus going somewhere and not playing) and a great academic/life experience.

Nov 29, 2009
Greenmonsters, you are absolutely right. With no viable post college softball career for these athletes, outside of coaching, the education is what matters. That's why when I handled recruiting for my travel organization we always encouraged parents to look at D2 and D3 options because of the value of the degree. It's a proven fact that graduates of many top academic universities, including Georgia Tech, make significantly more money at their first job and over their lifetime. In reality softball should be viewed as the leverage to get a great education and well paying job...period. And, frankly, the sooner certain parents get off the track that Florida, Oklahoma, Alabama or UCLA are the only schools my DD is interested in the sooner their DD will find a good fit that provides a great softball experience (versus going somewhere and not playing) and a great academic/life experience.

I like to throw a number at parents and players. $1,000,000+. That is the value of their education over the course of their lifetime. I always echo the academic fit first. Then softball. I ask them would they go to that school if they were not playing softball.

One of the other things I tell the kids who are academically gifted enough and have thoughts of one of the top universities. Softball can be a way into the school through the side door, instead of trying to bang down the front door with thousands of other strictly academic kids. So long as they have the grades to attend the school. Know a girl who got into Colgate through softball and another who was able to get into Stanford as well as another at Northwestern.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I like to throw a number at parents and players. $1,000,000+. That is the value of their education over the course of their lifetime. I always echo the academic fit first. Then softball. I ask them would they go to that school if they were not playing softball.

One of the other things I tell the kids who are academically gifted enough and have thoughts of one of the top universities. Softball can be a way into the school through the side door, instead of trying to bang down the front door with thousands of other strictly academic kids. So long as they have the grades to attend the school. Know a girl who got into Colgate through softball and another who was able to get into Stanford as well as another at Northwestern.

I know I guy who got into Colgate many years ago with a little help from baseball ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45