Rec Ball Drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Good thing it was raining last night or my rec leagues meeting room would have burned down from all the fireworks. For the past 5 years the same all-star manager has been selected for my DDs age group. Very effective manager and was the first coach in our rec league to ever bring a team to state three years in a row. He asked me to be an asst coach and I had to attend the meeting as a formality.

A few hours prior to the meeting he unloads a bomb shell on me. His DD was asked to join one of our areas premier gold teams as a reserve. She is a shortstop and, in my opinion, the best all around player in our rec league. I have no doubt that given a few weeks to assimilate into the team and she will be challenging for a starter spot. As a result he was withdrawing his name from the manager selection process. I can't fault him or his DD as my own DD would jump at the chance to be on that team. Over the past 10 years the team has averaged 7 D1 scholarships from the 18U gold team. You do not pass up that type of opportunity.

Our rec league rules are very simple in terms of who can apply to be an all-star team manager: 1) Member in good standing, Yep, I paid rec fees . 2) At least Ace Cert 1, Yep I am Ace Cert 3. Other than those two criteria anyone can apply. At the urging of several people, and an endorsement from the departing coach, I decided to throw my hat into the ring. The only other person applying was a first year 14U manager. Long story short the board selected me to be manager. To say the other candidates reaction was over the top is an understatement. He proceeded on a 5 minute tirade about favoritism, nepotism (pretty sure he has no clue what that word means as I have no relations on the board) and the general unfairness about selecting someone who wasn't even a coach this season. He then kicked a couple of chairs as he stormed out. On his way out he made sure to repeat several times, "I am going to make sure no one tries out for this team".

Come to learn afterwards that the other candidate has a reputation for these types of reactions and was kicked out of a tournament last year for a similar type of outburst with an umpire. He is a good coach when under control but when he loses his temper all heck breaks loose. The board was so concerned about him that they seriously considered cancelling the 14U team if he was the only candidate. Going to be interesting on May 1st to see who comes out for the team.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am going to make a fortune as soon as I get my new soap opera approved. Girls Softball. With all the real life experiences I have, combined with all the research I can find on the forum I think I have a real winner!

Oct 22, 2009
Nah it's not just girls. I've read (3) different articles in the last month over local boys LL teams, where the police had to be called.
2 were charged with assault, 1 charged with disorderly conduct and the case of the other 2 coaches, victim dropped charges even after the coach strangled him until fell unconscious on the field!

Oct 19, 2009
Man it's turning in to a reg'lar soap opera over there.

This exact same thing happened in our rec league last year, but in another age group that I was involved with. The disgruntled coach successfully convinced all the parents on teams he (the nominated all star coach) wasn't coaching not to try out and guess what? We had all star teams at 8 and 12 U, but not 10 because that witch knew her own dd wouldn't be the ace pitcher on the all star team with the other guy coaching (and rightfully so - I umpired some of their games).

The really sad thing? She (Wicked Witch of the West) is the commissioner of softball in the local rec league and the middle school coach. Both our girls are no longer associated with rec and do only travel. If she's still the middle school coach when my dd hits 7th grade we may skip school ball too. Lots of parents see it but many around here don't have the means to make the move we did and they are afraid of the repurcussions of speaking out against her, so she keeps on playing her games.

Didn't you mention earlier that you hate rec ball? Yea, me too.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I have good news and bad news:

First the bad news - If you don't like drama and the occasional personality clashes, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE. Youth sports is full of crazy adults that refuse to let their kids be kids and have fun playing their chosen sport.

The good news is - As your child gets older and progresses to higher levels of competition, there is less crazyness. That is not to say that it is gone altogether - OH NO - just that you will get a chance to breath in between the outbursts.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Long story short the board selected me to be manager. To say the other candidates reaction was over the top is an understatement. He proceeded on a 5 minute tirade about favoritism, nepotism (pretty sure he has no clue what that word means as I have no relations on the board) and the general unfairness about selecting someone who wasn't even a coach this season. He then kicked a couple of chairs as he stormed out. On his way out he made sure to repeat several times, "I am going to make sure no one tries out for this team".

Sounds like just the sort of guy we want to entrust our children with, to serve as a mentor and role model.

Oh, the glorious days of rec ball! The stories I could tell...

My first time through, I was stunned by the ignorance and stupidity that, allegedly, mature adults could exhibit. After hearing many more stories like this one, I've come to regard my experiences in rec ball as par for the course.

And it all started right at the top. The lady in charge of our program ruled with an iron fist and had all the people skills of rabid dog. Truly one of the rudest individuals I've ever had to deal with, she seemed to be permanently mad at everyone and everything. Early on, we nicknamed her "Mrs. Hitler".

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
But always remember the girls tend to love playing with their friends from school and just being selected for all stars. Our park selects the all star manager by the overall best record with ties coming down to head to head games. We are a small park so the other head coaches get first option on being assistants. Last year the other coach in 6U had our all star team. We had agreed that all positions were open. This worked great until a couple of the girls that had played for me started showing up his assistants children. Then it was all bets off. We won a pre area tourny and our area tourny but by the time we reached state it was ugly. Our parents were split between the regular season teams and cheered mostly for their teams girls. I actually thought there would be a fight or two between our own parents. We had a team that should have easily finished 2nd at worst and ended up 5th. We were knocked out by teams that either of our regular season teams could have beaten.

We hated the experience but I will say my daughter loved it. It made me think about why I was out there and it made me a better coach for the girls I have this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06