Radar mats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2021
There is a pitching Coach that uses a mat that reads the velocity of a pitch thrown into it and then it is displayed on a phone. How accurate is this device and what is it called...anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
i have no idea, but I question accuracy. Without a reference to how quickly an object goes from point a to B, How is velocity determined??

I guess you could possibly back figure a velocity based on impact energy with a known weight object, but accuracy would be very suspect.

May 13, 2021
Are you sure it is the mat that is reading the velocity? The pocket radar will display the reading on your phone, visually, and verbally.

Aug 20, 2021
Are you sure it is the mat that is reading the velocity? The pocket radar will display the reading on your phone, visually, and verbally.
I think so. Here is what it looks like on the phone.
37d996791f047b49e037527e8936a5ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
My guess is it has sensors throughout the mat and measures the time it takes for the ball to travel from sensor to sensor.

There is a new "laser plate" that is being used at top-end umpiring schools. It provides a sensor-measured strike zone.

Sep 3, 2015
My guess is it has sensors throughout the mat and measures the time it takes for the ball to travel from sensor to sensor.

There is a new "laser plate" that is being used at top-end umpiring schools. It provides a sensor-measured strike zone.

Wouldn’t it need to know when the ball left the hand? Maybe there was there a special ball?

My guess is the radar was setup near the mat and it just seemed that the mat had something to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Wouldn’t it need to know when the ball left the hand? Maybe there was there a special ball?

My guess is the radar was setup near the mat and it just seemed that the mat had something to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing it isn't measuring the time it takes to go from the pitcher to the plate. I'm assuming it is measuring the time it takes for the ball to travel from the front of the mat to the back of the mat. You can calculate velocity using time between any two distances*, no matter how small or how large. Accuracy may be impacted ...

*(d1 - d2)/t or distance travelled divided by time

May 16, 2016
Is the mat in front of the catcher? You really want the velocity at release, not at the plate. Pocket radar displays the highest speed recorded, which will be immediately after release. I would not waste your money on a mat that is in front of the catcher to measure pitching velocity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott