Question on third strike

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
Runner on third one out.....In our game tonight pitcher throws a low outside pitch just as called...catcher does a good job and caught the ball prior to it hitting the ground. Batter swings and misses. Batter takes off to first as if a dropped third strike. Catcher throws the ball back to pitcher while runner is running to first...ump rings her up as caught ball. Pitcher is looking at 1st as third takes off? Pitcher is in the circle has control of the ball runner on first is ordered off the base but counted the run. Should that not been ruled a delay of game and runner made to return to third? I know stupid question...but this has me puzzled. Was I right to argue the play was dead when the pitcher had control of the ball in the circle...She was looking at first but made no play on her what so ever, just a what are you doing running look.....Well anyway blue allowed the run....was he right????

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
OK, I just saw this play up on the official's forum a few weeks ago. The defense is suppose to know the situation. The ump did call her out and the defense knew this and returned the ball to the pitcher in the circle. As far as the runner on first: ASA rule 8 sec 7 T-1
When a runner is legitimately off a base after a pitch or as a result
of a batter completing a turn at bat, and while the pitcher has control
of the ball within the eight foot radius of the pitcher’s plate, the
runner may stop once, but then must immediately return to the
base or attempt to advance to the next base.
If she immediately ran for home and didn't stop, the run scores. But if she hesitated, she is called out.
As far as the batter-baserunner: ASA rule 8 sec 7P
When, after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes
with a defensive player’s opportunity to make a play on another runner.
EFFECT: The ball is dead. The runner closest to home plate at the time of the
interference is out. All runners not out must return to the last base touched
at the time of the interference.
NOTE: A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered
a form of interference. This does not apply to the batter-runner running on
the dropped third strike rule.

Jan 15, 2009
I agree. Strike three is a live ball situation until the LBR is in effect and runners can steal with liability to be put out. Batter/runner is specifically allowed to attempt first on strike three even on a caught ball and this is not interference. Not any different than attempting to go to first on D3K when base is occupied and less than 2 outs, if defense gets sucked in, that is their fault, batter/runner is protected.

Mar 13, 2010
Runner on third one out.....In our game tonight pitcher throws a low outside pitch just as called...catcher does a good job and caught the ball prior to it hitting the ground. Batter swings and misses. Batter takes off to first as if a dropped third strike. Catcher throws the ball back to pitcher while runner is running to first...ump rings her up as caught ball. Pitcher is looking at 1st as third takes off? Pitcher is in the circle has control of the ball runner on first is ordered off the base but counted the run. Should that not been ruled a delay of game and runner made to return to third? I know stupid question...but this has me puzzled. Was I right to argue the play was dead when the pitcher had control of the ball in the circle...She was looking at first but made no play on her what so ever, just a what are you doing running look.....Well anyway blue allowed the run....was he right????
It appears that the ump was correct.
Both Coach Al and Snocatz are correct in both their comments on the play and the ASA rules that were cited. I just wanted to also point out that the is no delay of game rule or definition of the term in the ASA rule book. Yes, there are rules that place time requirements on the pitcher (6.1.e/6.1.o) and the batter (7.3.c), but there are no delay of game penalties in the sense that you were seeking to have one called in your game.

The question I have (as I'm not 100% clear from your post)....when your pitcher received the ball in the circle, exactly where was the runner on third? On the base? or Off the base? Also, are we all correct in assuming that you were playing under ASA rules?

Jan 20, 2010
LOL.....You are correct....I was watching ESPN sports center at the time and they were talking about a delay of game....somehow I transposed that into my question......I did say it was a stupid question :) I re-read that in the morning and said to myself I should just went to bed.....I had just returned from the game and I was tired....but it was bugging me so I posted.

When the pitcher received the ball the runner was standing on third base. She took her lead at pitch release and got back to the base once she saw a good catch. She she already had her one stop and returned to the base.

And yes ASA rules.......What I believe should of happend was runner at third should of been called out and the called out batter/runner going to first was just a distraction to try to get a throw. Our team handled it correctly by not making a play. We had practiced this and spoke with the girls about what to do....they all did the right thing.... I believe Blue got this one wrong.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Should that not been ruled a delay of game and runner made to return to third?

No, as already noted, this isn't a delay of game situation.

Was I right to argue the play was dead when the pitcher had control of the ball in the circle?

No, you were not. Having the ball in the circle does not make the ball dead.

It does sound like a probable Look Back Rule violation on the runner from third, if she was standing on the base when the pitcher received the ball in the circle. If you argued anything, it should have been that the LBR was not properly applied and the runner should have been out.

If your argument that the play was "dead" was correct, then it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a runner to violate the LBR (since the ball was dead). In a round about way, without even realizing it, you were arguing AGAINST an out that should have been granted to your team, instead of arguing FOR the out that was really there to be enforced!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06