Question on rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2008
Rec fall ball tourney. Ball hit to SS side of 2nd. Runner on 2nd runs and SS runs to make play. Both hesitate and then go and hit each other. Blue says that it was not a play on ball by SS so no interference.He said if it was hit to her then it would be interference because its a play. I argued that a play is anything that CAN be made left or right.

NSA rules state a little confusing:

k. When the baserunner interferes with a fielder attempting to field
a batted ball or intentionally interferes with a thrown ball. If this
interference, in the judgement of the umpire, is an obvious
attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the
baserunner is put out, the immediate succeeding runner shall
also be called out.

May 13, 2008
If the ball had not yet passed a fielder (other than the pitcher) and the SS had a play then it should have been called as interference. Perhaps the hesitation by the SS played a factor.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
its runner interference.. the baserunner MUST attempt to avoid the fielder making a play on the ball...... Blue's judgement, though at times even Blue makes a wrong call based on rules..... instruct baserunners to AVOID contact or getting in front of a fielder trying to make a play on the ball.... and instruct your fielders to GO AFTER the ball and make a play on it as the responsibility is on baserunner to avoid contact......

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
HTBT. But consider these thoughts:

1: Both runner and fielder hesitate, then go - Judgement call - Blue decides that the intention of SS was stopping play on the ball, no interference.

2: IMO, Blue's explanation of why there was no interference is not correct, there possibly WAS interference on the play and the runner should have possibly been called out.

NOTE: if a player or coach argue with Blue on a judgement call, they CAN be removed from the game...

Jan 13, 2009
Don't know if this contributes to the conversation, but this last year, NSA (in my area) has put emphasis on NOT allowing the defensive player to anticipate the ball and obstruct the runner.

If the defensive player hesitates, the runner is almost never called on interference, even if she ends up leaping over the ball.

Dec 10, 2008
The fielder hesitated because she did not want to hit the runner. Then when She took a line to the ball to go around runner thats when they hit. He said at first they hesitated and that is why he did not call it. Then he stated that the fielder took the wrong path to the ball and that is why he did not call it. Talked to him after the game and I think he was mad because the whole crowd was on him. I told him that She made an attempt to miss the runner and make the play , which She did not have to do. Bottom line is the runner hit her trying to make the play on the ball and I thought it was an easy call.

After he told me he had been doing softball for years and basically knows all I knew it was a lost cause. I just want to learn what the correct rules are. I should have called over the UIC in that case. Mistake learned by me. Then again I had 2 other umps call a 1-3 count on girls in another game. For the most part I think some good calls are made but you seem to get quite a few I am learning that do not even read a rulebook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06