Postion of Shoulders on release

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2009
Mesa Arizona
I have a girl on our team that when she releases her release shoulder goes up and her front shoulder goes down. She is a slapper of the glove pitcher and I had her start trying to hit her hip if she absolutely has to slap her leg. When she tries to slap her hip her shoulders are much more aligned to where they should be and she can better locate her pitches. Her pitching coach says she shouldn't focus on where she should slap during her pitch. I agree that she should focus on slap point but she does need to get that front shoulder above the release shoulder am I correct? What drills can she do to fix that?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm going to assume the pitcher is a rightie:

If her pitching coach were good, then the pitcher wouldn't be dropping her left shoulder and raising her right shoulder, would she? Dropping her right shoulder and raising the left shoulder is FUNDAMENTAL for throwing a fastball.

As to the "leg slap", please refer to it as a "leg touch" when you talk to her and her dad. Otherwise, the poor kid's leg will be a swollen, bruised mass in no time.

The glove should be brought down and touch the front part of her left leg. Here is Osterman's position (she is a leftie, and therefore is touching her right leg):

9dd69f3b67eb469993866542c3f8edb3.jpg

Also, note that the ball is released and her left shoulder is still lower than her right shoulder.

To correct the problem with the shoulder:

(1) The pitcher gets open and raises her arm to 12.
(2) Someone stands behind her and puts a hand on the pitcher's right shoulder (assuming a rightie)
(3) She throws the ball, and the person pushes the pitcher's right shoulder down.

You do this 10 to 20 times, then the pitcher does it without help. When she regresses and stops doing it correctly, you have someone stand behind her again.

This could take quite a while to fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32