positional qualities...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
I would like some input from others on the qualities/skills they look for in each position (1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... Right field) other than catcher and pitcher.

Thanks.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OF--speed, speed and more speed.
CF: Best arm, best speed, best fundamentals.
LF: Weakest of the OFs
RF: Good arm, good understanding of the game, quick. They have to decide how to play the ground ball to RF. So, the kid has to have some brains.
SS: Best arm, best fundamentals, quick, can get the ball out of her mitt quickly. It takes no more than two groundballs per player to pick out the SS.
2B: weak arm is OK, smart, understands the game, good fundamentals.
1B: Excellent at catching the ball, good arm, can be slowest player on the field. 1B has one of the most complicated positions on the field, so I like her to be the smartest player on the field after the catcher. She has to be a good listener and a good learner. Do NOT overlook the arm at 1B.
3B: Fearless with a good arm. Very quick, but not necessarily fast. Can cut off the ground ball up the middle.

There are three roles on defense: OF, Middle infield and corners. Each player gets a primary role and a secondary role. The kids will usually play their primary role in "important" games. For "who cares" games, the kids play secondary roles.

I'm vehemently opposed to giving permanent defensive assignments to kids under 16.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the post. Exactly the input I was looking for. I agree on the primary and secondary roles. I am drafting a 'depth' chart of my girls so I can know where I want them as practices start to pick up.

I strongly believe every young player should be given the opportunity to learn more than one position. When they get to school ball, they may be faced with a situation where a more senior player already has their position filled. If they have no experience anywhere else, they're stuck.

Sluggers,

Send me your 3B that can field balls going up the middle! You don't even need a shortstop! JK

I agree with most everything that you said but I am wondering why you think 1B is such a complicated position to play?

Here is my take...

LF- Weakest arm in outfield, good at judging line drives, can't be afraid to get infront of hard hit balls.
CF-Fastest outfielder and best vocal leader. Strong arm is a plus.
RF-Strongest arm is great in RF because they have the farthest throw to 3B and also can get you some outs going to 1B on the 9-3 play.
1B-Great hands and needs to be able to catch the ball. Also needs to be quick on the bunts. Also must be able to throw home quickly from 1B.
2B-Smartest Infielder. A strong arm isn't a neccesity but it helps on cuts from the RF. Must be quick covering 1B on a bunt.
3B-Must have a quick release. Most throws won't be too long so I don't think you need anything more than an average arm. Good range to the glove side is a plus.
SS-Strong arm and great hands. Player must be a leader and be able to cover a lot of ground.

Thanks,
Sean Hall

Sep 3, 2009
Sean... I think Sluggers is spot on. 1B is complicated, in that they need to catch anything, and need reach. I disagree with you on 3B, because I would say 3B might not need speed as much as SS, but the 3B to 1B throw I would say is just as important as the SS to 1B throw, but just a bit more distance.

One thing I am curious about, is the opinion on RF vs LF. Quite the opposite as to what we were taught as kids, and still see many teams today putting the weaker of the two positions at RF.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We put our strongest arm in RF, because in SB, we throw out many at first base from RF. I plot all hits and it would appear RF gets more hits than any other fielder. It could be that we have such dominate pitching that hitters are late. Otherwise I agree with sluggers post.

Sep 3, 2009
We put our strongest arm in RF, because in SB, we throw out many at first base from RF. I plot all hits and it would appear RF gets more hits than any other fielder. It could be that we have such dominate pitching that hitters are late. Otherwise I agree with sluggers post.

So then, this would be the opposite of the train of thought in baseball? Because of the drecreased reaction time vs. that of baseball (because the mound is closer)? I guess I've never heard that before, but it makes complete sense.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Sluggers,

Send me your 3B that can field balls going up the middle! You don't even need a shortstop! JK

Without a doubt, the 3B takes whatever she can get. She will take balls in front of SS if she can. She should not be afraid to get her belly-button dirty either!.

Its hard to make generalizations. Its always a compromise with what you have to work with, and what you dont, and may depend on the strength of pitching too. Assuming they all have adequate arm and glove (which they should). If I listed great glove and arm it would be required at all positions!:

Quickness = SS (get to ball, cover large area, get throw off fast) Quickness usually comes packaged with good arm!
Athleticism = 3B, 2B (diving catches, etc, quick reactions, makes stretch plays, but may get rid of ball slower than SS)
Speed = OF
Slow, lefty, = 1B

Lesser players = RF or LF .

Strong pitching makes IF much more important than OF. Not uncommon to never let the ball out of the IF in a game. If pitching is not strong, OF may take on greater importance.

Last edited:
absdad,

I guess I am getting caught up on the word complicated. To me it means confusing. 2B is a lot more confusing than 1B. I would agree that 1B could be considered difficult in catcing some of the balls but I think 2B is more complicated. 1B it's pretty much catch the ball and put your foot on the base or come in for the bunt.

I think RF is more important if you have fast pitching and work the outside corner a lot. If you have average or slow pitching I would put my better outfielder in left.

Thanks,
Sean

Nov 1, 2009
If you look at every detail of a game and every responsibilty of the player I think you would find all of the positions require a lot of coaches input. I would agree with several of the posts that your pitcher and catcher will dictate what position is the most important. We work very hard on release time for our fielders since some have great arms and others not so great. I believe if you have one player on your team that is not prepared it seems that is where the ball goes against good teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes