POLL- spend more time games or practice development?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Which should you do more of?

• Play games

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Practice development

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
May 13, 2023
A coach friend sent me this. Like the comments within it. Thought to share.

What is better/more value of time?
Competing in games?
Or
Practice and development?

IMG_0538.jpg

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Everyone gets more reps during practice. Well known Impact Gold coach told me she would rather have more practices than games. Yes, game reps are great. That is where you find out if all of your practicing has prepared you and also gives feed back on what needs to be worked on during practice.

Practice-Development and learning
Games-Test

Oct 4, 2018
As a team, we're about 50/50.

However, my DD works on pitching 3-4 days a week without the team, a hitting lesson 1/week and then conditioning/training 2-3/week. So in essence, she "practices" way more than she plays games.

Sep 13, 2021
Depends on what the goal is. If you're focused on more wins/better results at the team level, there's no way practice can replicate game speed, live game situations and live pitching/at bats like games can. That said, you can't maximize the value of game experience unless the players and the team as a unit has a solid base of skill and IQ, so a baseline amount of practice is a prerequisite to being able to accomplish anything.

Feb 16, 2024
I feel that the practice allows the player to work on the decision making. I watched the practice of my DG TB team this last Saturday, the coaches worked for 2 hours on what decisions to make in specific situations. I have watched our team create chaos with their base running that throws off the opposing teams. They did not practice for those situations, and it showed.

Jul 1, 2022
When it comes to player development, how much more effective is team practice vs working on skills individually?

Seems like these multi state nationals teams do fine collecting studs from several states and plugging them in come tourney time.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I personally really like the ratio of games to practice that is involved with the high school season. Daughter is fortunate that she has some really good softball coaches at her high school varsity level. Her head coach played SS for the Missouri Tigers, the other 3 coaches all played in college also.

One of her coaches is almost 70 years old. He is still in pretty amazing shape and really is an incredible infield coach.

As far as travel ball goes, they really don't practice as a team at all, maybe once per year. Even when they get together in the winter they just scrimmage against another team in the same organization. You got 35 - 40 girls playing in one scrimmage game, that ends up just being an extremely inefficient use of time. The travel team does not live close enough to practice during the week. We do all of our training on our own during the travel season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad