Poll: Rec or select?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
Should I keep my DD (pitcher) playing REC, moving her up to 12U with her older teammates, or move her to select with a 10U local team, who has asked her to try out? She would be one of the older girls on the select team, one of the youngest on the rec team.
(She's 4'7" and weighs about 70 lbs.; 71 soaking wet...)

Mar 15, 2010
Select. Keep her at the 35' for the extra year and let her build her confidence. The move to 40' impacts virtually all pitchers and with her size let her mature that extra year before she makes the move up.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Select.

Select is a different game than rec...much, much more competitive. You need to find out if your DD likes playing softball in a competitive environment or if she just wants to have a good time with her friends.

Oct 18, 2009
Select. Girls that play select are more dedicated than those that play rec. Good 10u select teams can beat up on 12u rec teams.

Feb 9, 2009
Actually, I have been wondering about the 35' vs 40' thing...THAT and the fact that she'll go up to a 12" ball in 12U. Gut instinct is telling me to give her body another year to grow before pushing it. It's just that the REC team is like family...these kids have been together for 5 seasons. We're both torn...

About 3 wks ago, my daughter's former coach (12U) called to see if I'd bring her out to the local park to practice with his team. I asked if she wanted to go and she was all for it - more practice for her (plays 16U now in another town). I thought he needed the extra person to practice - wrong. Got out there and there were 18 girls, no kidding. For the past 2 years, we scrounged to have enough for a single team so I wondered about the numbers. Turns out, there were enough "little" ones, who should still be in 10U, who had parents that wanted them to gain the experience of "playing up" to form another team. When my dd got up to bat, I was worried about those small girls on the field - if they'd pay attention or get smacked square in the jaw with the ball. After we left, my dd said she never wanted to do that again. She was afraid to throw the ball and afraid to hit - said she thought she might hurt the others. My take is that if your dd is small and can stay in her own age division, no matter rec or select, let her stay back. She'll gain that extra year of experience and size! :) Good luck!

Mar 15, 2010
. It's just that the REC team is like family...these kids have been together for 5 seasons. We're both torn...

My DD moved back to rec ball about a month and a half ago so she could play her final season of all stars with her friends. She is having a great time with her friends but keeps commenting that the level of play in rec is far lower than travel.

Last game she pitched a one hitter over 5 innings against a team that was supposed to be one of the best in our district. After the game she admitted to me that she took off mentally with half the batters (meaning she just threw fastballs and didn't use her pitching brain).

From an offensive perspective it is like batting practice. Hitting a bit over .500 and so far has accounted for 70% of the runs from either RBI or runs scored. These stats are so far out of line with her travel stats that it is ridiculous. She is having a good time but keeps telling me she can't wait to get back to travel.

I know it is hard to leave your friends but she will make new ones and she will grow more as a player.

Oct 18, 2009
Actually, I have been wondering about the 35' vs 40' thing...THAT and the fact that she'll go up to a 12" ball in 12U. Gut instinct is telling me to give her body another year to grow before pushing it. It's just that the REC team is like family...these kids have been together for 5 seasons. We're both torn...

Could she play both? That might be an option. If she's pitching at both the ball size change might get confusing. if she's good enough to pitch for the select team I'd let her only pitch 10u.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd must be around same birthday, she will be 12u (5-7 grade) rec, and be able to play 10u as an 11yr next spring. Our rec is weekday nights so girls can play both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan