*POLL~ Does being a STARTER matter to you on...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Being a STARTER matters

• YES

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • NO

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is a simple yes or no.
Yet might still have people chatting why?
Maybe age bracket matters to you why?

Does being a starter on tournament sunday matter to you?
Ya know THAT starting 9....

Jun 8, 2016
I am not starting anywhere right now unless I can find an 80 and over league to play in..

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
The goal I have for my DD is to be in the starting 9. Not sure why that wouldn't be the goal.

BTW, DD has the same goal.

This past weekend DD's team played in a small tournament and she pitched in 4 games leading up to the the semi and championship. She started 2 and came in to rescue the other bracket pitcher in the other 2. When we got to the semi, the other pitcher finally found her groove and pitched both the semi and championship games. DD was devastated that she worked so hard to help get the team there and didn't get to start the championship. As a consolation, she did get to pitch the last batter\3rd out of the championship game when there was 4 minutes left on the clock and coach decided to change pitchers to run it out (2 pitches- 1 swing and miss and dribbler right back to her for an easy out at 1st). As a result, she has been motivated all week to practice her pitching and refine her spins. As a coach in our area is famous for saying, "be so good they can't ignore you".

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The goal I have for my DD is to be in the starting 9. Not sure why that wouldn't be the goal.

BTW, DD has the same goal.

This past weekend DD's team played in a small tournament and she pitched in 4 games leading up to the the semi and championship. She started 2 and came in to rescue the other bracket pitcher in the other 2. When we got to the semi, the other pitcher finally found her groove and pitched both the semi and championship games. DD was devastated that she worked so hard to help get the team there and didn't get to start the championship. As a consolation, she did get to pitch the last batter\3rd out of the championship game when there was 4 minutes left on the clock and coach decided to change pitchers to run it out (2 pitches- 1 swing and miss and dribbler right back to her for an easy out at 1st). As a result, she has been motivated all week to practice her pitching and refine her spins. As a coach in our area is famous for saying, "be so good they can't ignore you".
Not going to say everyone has to have the same goals...
Do think we need to be on teams with alike goals!

Pitchers are in a tough situation with this topic.
Will reply by saying,
Every pitcher has a team behind them that matters.
Then the team in front of them they are facing can matter why or why not they will pitch against them.
Simply, each pitcher is equally important at different times!

Good for your daughter for helping lead her team! ?

Apr 20, 2015
Yes. My dds goal in everything she does is to be the best. Whether its in the classroom, on the court or field. What's the point of doing something if you do try to be the best. You won't always meet your goal but if you can be satisfied with your effort then that's a win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In sports, PLAYING matters. Playing is the biggest reward for all the work you put into your game. You can take rewards/satisfaction/etc for your role as a sub or specific role or as a practice player or being a great teammate or being on the team or whatever else you want to, but in the end, this is a game, and getting to compete and play in the game is king.

So in softball, yes, starting matters. With the way substitutions works, starting means more playing time. It isn't a sport like basketball where you can come in and out of the game and contribute off the bench and even get 'starter minutes'

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr