POLL & Discussion about DEDICATION

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

% of players who put in their own work

• 100%

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 90%

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 80%

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50%

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • 10%

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What do you guesstimate the percentage of dedication you're seeing with softball players.

Dedication~ Specifically meaning the amount of training an individual is putting into ANY softball related skills on their own time.
Going Beyond just showing up for practice and games.
Training / Practicing on their own,
weekly ongoing routine.

Does age affect this?

GO DFP ??

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
As a high school coach I get about 25% at optional off season workouts and I am guessing that less workout on their own at home.

I have a group at the jr high level 6th and 7th graders that are showing up at about 75% right now. VERY surprising, of that 75% I would say 50% workout at home. Their parents are at workouts talking to coaches on things to work on. I look forward to that group in the coming years.

May 20, 2015
interesting related point:

in talking to DD1 and a few other ex-players that are now at D3s.....it amazes me how many incoming first years don't know how to do work on their own......sure, they put time in with their trainer, but ask them to go work out on their own, or without one on one training, and they have no clue.......without the adult directing them what to do, how to do it, etc, they struggle to put in real work on their own

so wondering how you define "work on their own" - does work with their hitting coach or their positional coach or their trainer count, as it is work away from practice, or are we JUST talking about tee work in the yard, running on their own, etc

i'd agree with others - when you look at our HS team, it might be 15-25%, and that is probably higher than most HS teams in our area......if i look at both DDs travel squads, its probably in that 50-75% range, maybe even higher

Sep 19, 2018
My my DD teams the last couple of years (now first year 14U), I'd say 80-90% of the girls do something. Hitting, pitching lessons or even just extra swings / hitting with Mom or Dad at some point during the week. It may be only 30-45 minutes a week extra, but it is something.

Last season we had extra / optional hitting on Friday nights 6:30-8:00. We had space for 3 or 4 Tees and Front Toss. Another team in our org had the field so we were limited. We usually had 7 or 8 girls show up. The other team also ended at 8:00, so the field was then open. Most nights, I had at least 5 of the girls ask to stay late and take ground balls.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
interesting related point:

in talking to DD1 and a few other ex-players that are now at D3s.....it amazes me how many incoming first years don't know how to do work on their own......sure, they put time in with their trainer, but ask them to go work out on their own, or without one on one training, and they have no clue.......without the adult directing them what to do, how to do it, etc, they struggle to put in real work on their own.
add travel to that ?

CRITICAL EXCELLENT POINT
@tim_s ? seriously thrilled to see this observation brought to discussion.
Thank you for it!

Quality time prioritizing ourselves!
? how awesome is that!
Plan Prepare Participate
= Accomplishment that is a huge life skill and can tremendously build self-esteem!

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Our team's players have to report their weekly activities/ practice / clinics / workouts every Friday night. Accountability. Grades every month. It is amazing how many reps you can get in an half hour working one on one. The kid throwing himself ground balls is awesome. You can do even more with a dimple batting cage ball and a racquet ball court. In ten minutes you could catch, transfer and throw a ball 150 times. Practice all the different throws. Underhand dish, open up side arm dish, on the run off foot throw, etc. Putting in your own work is very efficient and I would say necessary for most to succeed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl