Playing time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2021
Coming in new to travel ball. My daughter has been with this team for 2 months now and has received very little playing time. She’s played high school before and we didn’t have that issue there. She’s all heart when it comes to playing ball. I see that it kills her to just sit on the sidelines, still she is a team player and she does what is asked of her. Is this what happens in travel ball? Do the girls coming in not get play time?

Aug 25, 2019
You just starting travel ball and your DD is in high school?.......Well, I guess that's beside the point since she has experience. All TB teams are different, some coaches let everyone play equally, some make the girls work for it. But unlike high school, you're paying for travel ball, so you should have a talk with the coach about why your DD is not playing as much. True, paying for it does not mean everyone gets equal playing time, but it certainly should be a consideration.

Feb 6, 2021
You just starting travel ball and your DD is in high school?.......Well, I guess that's beside the point since she has experience. All TB teams are different, some coaches let everyone play equally, some make the girls work for it. But unlike high school, you're paying for travel ball, so you should have a talk with the coach about why your DD is not playing as much. True, paying for it does not mean everyone gets equal playing time, but it certainly should be a consideration.
Thanks, yes unfortunately we couldn’t afford it until now which is why she’s barely getting in travel ball. I was not too sure how travel teams work but it sounds like they’re all different. It’s just hard to get experience when there no play time.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
They are all different. Some will split time all games to some that make everyone earn it. Some will play everyone in pool to playing every game to win. You just need to find the team that best fits your DD's talents and experience.

Did the conversation with the HC before you signed up have anything in it in regards to play time?

Feb 6, 2021
They are all different. Some will split time all games to some that make everyone earn it. Some will play everyone in pool to playing every game to win. You just need to find the team that best fits your DD's talents and experience.

Did the conversation with the HC before you signed up have anything in it in regards to play time?
We never had a conversation about play time. We where honest in saying that she was new to travel ball. I guess I assumed she’d get some play time, in order to get better she’ll have to be out on the field. It’s good to know it all teams at the same.

Nov 15, 2019
On our 2nd year 14u team we have 1 girl new to travel. She gets very little game time play but they were aware of that coming on to the team. She was taken on more as a student of the game. As her skills advance, I'm guessing she'll get a little more game time.
I would have your daughter ask her coach what skills she needs to improve on and then work on that. Use her time on the bench to learn as much as she can and cheer her team on. Our general experience with playing time in travel is as they get older, playing time is earned and not just automatically given.

Feb 6, 2021
On our 2nd year 14u team we have 1 girl new to travel. She gets very little game time play but they were aware of that coming on to the team. She was taken on more as a student of the game. As her skills advance, I'm guessing she'll get a little more game time.
I would have your daughter ask her coach what skills she needs to improve on and then work on that. Use her time on the bench to learn as much as she can and cheer her team on. Our general experience with playing time in travel is as they get older, playing time is earned and not just automatically given.
Thank you, she really likes the team and values hard work. I know she’s working she’s, hopefully the coaches see that and she’s able to make it work.

Apr 20, 2015
You get better in practice and by putting hours and hours of work in outside of practice on your own. Right now in the off season my daughter hits 3 hours a week, fields 5 hours a week and lifts weights/conditions 3 days a week. Game time is the chance to show off all your hard work. Keep working hard and put in the time she will get her time to shine and if she doesn't then move on. Travel teams are a dime a dozen and you will find the right fit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
What position? Can she hit well at the level you're playing at?
I'm a big fan of practice is much more important than game time. You just get more out of practice.
A SS may get 2 or 3 balls in a game hit to them.
At a practice she may get 100 balls hit to her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr