Player ejection from scrimmage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2013
Witnessed a player being ejected during a scrimmage for what was deemed an unsportsman act during a tag on a slide into 3rd. Thirdbaseman came up after the tag with facemask pushed up her face and had been cleated on the slide. It was fairly evident that it was an aggressive tag however not intentional to do anything to the player making the slide.

There were other plays during the game where there were questionable shoves on when the other team was in the field.

I dont know that the player deserved to be ejected from the game on the tag on third.

Jun 24, 2013
Maybe they got tired of all the pushing and shoving and this player was used as the “example”. IDK.

I do know it is not always fair, so does DD. Not a lot of whining in our house. (Just on this forum. :))

Sep 16, 2013
I am agreeing with James. If like you had said there had been previous shoves throughout the game, the umpire may of used that player as an example to gain back control of the game. May not always be the most fair call, but sometimes they need to do something like that. Hard to tell the tone of the game from just a description, but my guess this is why it happened.

Apr 19, 2013
Well there was not an ump it was just a scrimmage. Just the coach of the other team making an issue of it but not when his players were doing the shoving. Thought it was a bit much for a scrimmage

Jun 24, 2013
I like scrimmages and 99% of them are good. It still remember one that we needed to stop and everyone went home, other HC and I thought there was going to be a street brawl. Neither of us had an idea how it started but it was getting out of hand quickly so we just stopped.

Both theirs and our Team had good reputations, no issues during games.

I asked DD and she said she had no idea how it started either but she got sucked into it. Oh well, something I will never know the answer to.

Dec 7, 2011
Reminds me of a case where the other team intentionally had their big firstbaseman crowd the inside corner of first base on extra base hits. This was back when I was coaching and I pleaded my case with the ump many times and the opposing coach heard this and did not change anything.

Next at-bat for my DD she took things into her own hands and hit an extra-base hit and btw tumbled the firstbaseman in the process.

Am I proud of DD for that? Yes & No. The bigger point here is that many times questionable game behavior does equal itself out all on its own. I am on the side that this is part of the game (especially when umps don't engage with leadership &/or balance).