Play at the plate with 1 out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
In a game this weekend there was a play at the plate with one out. Runner slides and rolls on top of catcher holding the ball. Umpire is repeatedly asking to see the ball, during which time the batter who hit the infield grounder keeps advancing. Result of the play is runner at home is out and base runner kept the advancement. Correct ruling?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sounds right, one of the things we struggled with this year was making a play and go on to the next play. The last play is over, Ump calls what they see.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
It just seemed that by asking to see the ball by the umpire and the player doing so, hindered the defensive player from making the next play and by definition Interference is "The act of an offensive player or team member, umpire, or spectator that impedes, hinders or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary. The next batter popped out so the play had no outcome on the game.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
When the C comes up throwing to 2nd I am guessing the Ump is going to figure out that she has control of the ball.

^^^^^^
This

If the ump is asking to see the ball, then the player by definition hasn't moved onto the next play. That isn't the umpires fault.

And yeah, the ball is live so the runners can advance away

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am assuming none of this was intentional. There is a rule about a runner going out of their way to break up a double play.

A different way to think about this play is a runner on 1st, 1 out, batter-runner runs to 1st on a D3K. C better be throwing the ball to 2nd, if she throws it to 1st it is on the defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes