pitching mats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Go to Lowes and look at this stuff. Shop Artificial Grass at Lowes.com Some people just buy rubberized mats. I don't know what they call it. You don't need the pitching rubber, which is $20.00. Just glue down a board. You also don't need (and I don't want) a power line painted down the middle.

But, to answer your question, "Yes, you can use cleats on them." But, if you are indoors you can't step off of the mat with cleats on. (I am thinking gym floor.)

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Thanks

We do not have a Lowes here, I can check Home Depot, just reg athletic shoes ok then, understand the stepping off part.

Is not the power line beneficial, if it isn;t needed for direction, so many i see , have the bad habit of not landing correctly, feet in your line.

Thanks

i checked your link, those appear not to have foam backing, won't those slide if they are without the pad?

i called lowes and those are 130.00 for the least exp 3x15, i might as well buy the other one?

I called Home depot and it also is going to be over 100.00

i might as well order the one i inquired on?
tks

Last edited:

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
i missed your post i was editing my other one,,

i think i am going to order one of these, i will call them first to make sure, i do not want a cheap, thin piece, i understand your feet need to be in different locations, i some what think they need to get direction in the beginning, just my thought, advanced then not necessary

tkanks

i had seen some of those posts also on the belts etc,

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Good price... the astro turf usually means steel cleats are acceptable. But honestly you will use this mat for indoor work so the kids will probably be in tennis shoes. Ive been shopping for one too, but Ive never seen one for less than $200....

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
Here's what we use in the garage. It's not portable but is perfect if you need a soft place on concrete to keep from sliding. This is a hard rubber and will not slip no matter what you do. I bought this 4X6 piece at TSC (Tractor supply comp) for $40. It is plenty long for my 9 year old. They also sell a 4X4 ft piece for $30 if you wanted to extend the leap zone. Of course the duct tape can be put however you want. I mounted an old pitchers rubber to the back. You probably could find them at your local county co-op as well.

IMAG0051_zpsc12f2d5f.jpg

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
This is a hard rubber and will not slip no matter what you do.
IMAG0051_zpsc12f2d5f.jpg

Im a little aprehensive about using a rubber surface. It seems to me the foot of the stride leg would immediately stick and grab on contact, which could lead to a knee or ankle injury. Do you find this happening? Just a regular carpet or astro turf would omly offer some "give" allowing a little bit of a landing strip for the stride foot to slide, albeit a small amount.

Maybe I'm over analyzing or over cautious; or just plain wrong (lol). Your thoughts?

Thnx, T.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
It's not really a rubber surface. It's more of a soft plastic surface with rubber mixed in. It has kind of a cushion feel when you step on it, but strong enough to drive a truck over it and not hurt it at all. I have not noticed any stress to her legs in any way, but remember she is only 9 and her force off the mound is not as powerful as someone a few years older. The good thing is that is does not move at all on the pavement. You could easily staple astro turf down if you noticed a concern.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
I bought the identical mat in the OP for my DD for Christmas this year (clay color, 3x10). It is very high quality and seems like it should last for a long time. The power line is not painted on, it is fabricated in white, so it will never wear off.

Be aware, though, that the rubberized surface tends to slip on gym floors when she lands, so I typically spray a little Windex on the bottom when we set it up to make it stickier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl