pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Pitch until it hurts. They need to learn early the difference between being hurt and being injured.

Those 10U titles don't win themselves.

------

When my DD was in 10u she threw 200 pitches on Tuesdays and Thursdays assuming she had a tournament on the weekend. If she didn't we would throw 200 pitches on Saturday or Sunday.

She didn't throw 200 fastballs from 35ft though as we were working on mechanics and other typical issues that 10U's have. I would call it more of 200 "throws" instead of 200 "pitches".

I hope that makes sense.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In a game, I go with 50ish. Don't forget that she has already thrown a lot of pitches, warming up and then, 5 more before each inning. So, that actually puts her at 100 or more pitches.

Mar 31, 2013
I wouldn't get too concerned about it. If she is throwing more than 100 she is probably struggling and you would likely put in another pitcher anyway.

Mar 11, 2009
I would say one game on Saturday and one game on Sunday in a tourney. Wouldn't worry about pitch count, more about mechanics and just throwing strikes.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would just closely monitor her and let her body tell her when she is tired. My DD would typically throw 250-300 pitches in a weekend tournament at 10U. At 10U most pitchers are just trying to throw strikes, so they typically are not giving 100% on every pitch.

May 31, 2012
University of Florida head ortho doc recommends 95 a day max. 2 days in a row max. For kids <12 yo.

May 31, 2012
Learn from my ignorance. Better to be safe than sorry. The kid is 10 not a grown 20yo pitching in college. My DD was practicing 2/3 days a week throwing about 100 pitches per practice session and pitching tournaments 2 to 3 weekends/mth. 3-5 games per tournament. 5 weeks ago after her 4th game in 24hrs she had shoulder pain. It was just a strain but she's still not 100% healthy. It was a bad feeling thinking I let her pitch so much she got injured. Find a team with 3 pitchers that can split the work load.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Please remember that overuse injuries do not occur, in an instant. They build up over months and years. Error on the side of caution.
When I get a chance to see my students pitch, I always count their pitches. Last week, second base was broken, prior to the game starting. My 9 yo pitcher was already in the circle warming up, 10 minutes passed, while a new base arrived. The little girl threw the whole time. At one point, I told her "Do not pitch anymore." After a few minutes the coach saw her and said "Keep throwing."

Pitching should not hurt. I also try to teach pitchers how to recover - but very few do that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl