Pitcher specific strength training?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2018
My 15yr old DD has been recovering from bursitis behind the shoulder blade. The orthopedic doctor and PT indicated it was caused from muscle imbalance. They said she was lat dominant and this caused her shoulder mechanics to be off which caused the bursitis. Her PT told me my DD needs stronger back muscles. So, can anyone tell me if there is pitcher specific strength training she can do to prevent future injuries? This didn't happen until she went from 45mph to 60mph.

May 18, 2019
We've been doing this one for 4 weeks. It's weighted a bit toward core and glutes/legs so may not be what you need but there is a fair amount of pitcher specific upper body as well. You need a gym or the ability/willingness to buy 500 in equipment.

Feb 25, 2020
My 15yr old DD has been recovering from bursitis behind the shoulder blade. The orthopedic doctor and PT indicated it was caused from muscle imbalance. They said she was lat dominant and this caused her shoulder mechanics to be off which caused the bursitis. Her PT told me my DD needs stronger back muscles. So, can anyone tell me if there is pitcher specific strength training she can do to prevent future injuries? This didn't happen until she went from 45mph to 60mph.

Im confused. The PT didnt give you any exercises/therapy? She is lat dominant but her back muscles are too weak? What!?

Get a new PT/second opinion.

Jun 27, 2021
common in pitchers in the shoulders and hips to have imbalance.
wall angels- light weight
TRX bands- body weight push ups and back rows
Weighted single arm pull downs
Light weight shoulder arm raises/ front and side
Shoulder taps
J-bands
Always core work

These are a few mine did to help with the same issue about the same age.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
Java posted a great series of exercises in the Drive Mechanics thread:

Also an excellent thread here:

Jan 28, 2017
Robbie Hebert does some functional movement training, was or is a Tincher guy. My DD did some of his personalized workouts a few years back. Good stuff IMO.

Wasserman has some new softball pitching stuff out that I would like to see.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
This is the routine I have my pitchers use 3-4 times per week. It’s always a work in progress and I’m already needing to update it by eliminating the shoulder rolls and adding a couple exercises that keep the humerus more stable in the socket while pulling the scraps together:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13