Pitcher s missing high and away to righties

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2011
Ok Im not new to coaching pitchers, but am interested in some advice... my pitcher is a senior who is missing high and away to righties with her fastball...she is throwing harder this year than last, but I am failing at helping her get control...

things I see...
1) Stride slightly off the powerline to the first base side
2) stride foot ls at a 90 when hitting the ground and seems as though she "twists" during the delivery.
3) throwing arm crosses infront of face after delivery...

I know what needs to be done, can anyone advice on drills to help correct? Any other thoughts are more than welcome...thanks in advance for your help.

Jul 26, 2010
Missing inside and outside are mechanics issues. Missing high or low is a release point adjustment.

When correcting her mechanics, begin at the FIRST thing that is broken. This is usually incorrect footwork at the beginning of the pitch (turning out a knee, not striding with the power line) but can also be things like bringing the ball back too far "behind" themselves causing the entire arm motion to have an elliptical arc that will always bring the ball outside to a right handed batter. Usually if you fix these early issues, the rest of the mechanics will clean themselves up considerably.

Post a video of her pitching and we can help more.

-W

Feb 14, 2011
Hey thanks everyone for the advice... I am throwing again today, but not sure if I can find a catcher, so I had planned on video...not looking good. I will post as soon as I can

thanks again

Feb 7, 2011
High and outside and low and inside to a RH hitter means the pitcher has a few issues. This is caused by the hip closing too soon, and either blocking and throwing low & in or the throwing arm being right next to the throwing hip and when she closes causing her outside her powerline at release and throwing her arm circle out and across her body therfore throwing high and out. If she is throwing harder she probably is staying open longer some of the time or has been working on keeping her weight back better. The real problem is balance!!! You said she creeps left of her line with the stride foot which indicates she is either opening up too soon (probably not) or her glove is going up first then her throwing arm up after which shifts her weight left during attack, she has a balance issue. Its possible she is using too much resistance as well for the little balance she does have. What does her spin look like? In between a curve and a fastball?
I would have her try a few things. 1) Have her pitch and do her motion but don't have her push back off her left leg when she lands kind of like a walk through. If that straightens her spin and pitch out then she has been using too much resistance for the amount of balance she has. Work on balance!!!
2) See if she can throw in an open position without closing. If she falls to the right (3rd base) She has no balance or is using too much resistance off the front leg.

Quick Fix = DRAG LONGER

Coach Rob Dunham - West Coast Fundamentals
Former Lansing Comm College Pitching Coach

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish