pay to play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
With the expenses of travel ball, I require that each kid/parent pay for her own uniform, helmet, bat bag etc.( personal stuff) but the team expenses average out to about $500 per kid in order to play at least 15 tournaments and a showcase or two. This money can be earned through fundraisers, solicitation of companies for sponsorships, or if they want they can simply buy out. If this financial commitment isn't met by the deadline, what should the ramifications be?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I guess for me would be, how far off from the total are they? Big difference in someone who has acquired $100 of the $500 or $450 of the $500.

We changed the way we did the fees during the first wave of the recession. Let's take your $500, a player could pay it upfront to cover all expenses or they could pay for "personal equipment" upfront and pay installments on the tournaments as we go. ( $300 tourney meant they owed $30 when they showed up )

Just an idea as families all have different financial positions. Some families we had were struggling pay check to pay check and this worked out better for them.

I'll add this James, I know coaches that have spent many many $$ over the years of their own money making sure a player or two with "family issues" could play this game. Sometimes it comes with the job.

I have part two of this from another view coming.

Jun 18, 2010
Last year we let a couple slide, and pay as they were "able". Funny thing though, one of those families took a really nice vacation in June. They were also the ones that we had that hardest time collecting. Our team had a policy that if a regular had to miss a tournament (that was scheduled before the season started) the fees they would have paid covered the guest players entry fee. One family that didn't pay up front refused to pay a tournament entry fee for a guest player that was covering for their DD. My point is there seems to be a higher level of commitment from a family that is fully vested than the ones that string out the payments... IMHO.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Second side is what we have going on in HS. Each player is to earn $700 to cover expenses. That's fundraisers, sponsors, etc. We have one player who's freshman year the father ( mother didn't work ) lost his job and so we "pooled" together to cover her costs. Well he got another job summer before sophomore year and still works there, decent money.

Well every year since the player earns about $100-200 and that's it. And it pisses me off. It's like they "got away" with it one year and now expect it. Last year they bought a new $40,000 SUV but can't come up with $700 that is owed by everyone else??

Biggest problem is she is our only minority race player. And her parents have no problem using that from complaining about everything from fees to playing time. The mom is nuts to say the least.

DD just told me last week that this girl got a $50 cash donation from a sponsor. Guess what, she freaking spent it before turning it in!! Coach knows about the deal and I'm not sure what he plans to do. We've talked about it but I think he almost wants to sweep it under the radar. Girl is a senior now and I feel he just doesn't want to make a scene..............cause the crazy mom will.

I'm all about helping anyone who needs it, but this girl would be LONG GONE if I was coaching.

Rant over

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If this financial commitment isn't met by the deadline, what should the ramifications be?

This is a very tough problem. There is no "one size fits all" answer.

It isn't fair to you or the rest of the team to have to pay extra to keep these kids on the team. And, it is better to get rid of them now than later.

As GD said, how much due they owe? Will they be able to come up with the money?

I know coaches that have spent many many $$ over the years of their own money making sure a player or two with "family issues" could play this game.
Everyone has done this to an extent.

Our softball organization was big enough to absorb some of these costs. Eventually, though, the kids have to pay to play. It is either that or the team will collapse--money is money.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
A couple of years ago I had to play hardball with a particular deadbeat dad. He kept giving me the run around when fees were due, always some down on his luck story but the guy ALWAYS reeked of whiskey. We put him on a mandatory payment plan or they had to hit the road. He ended up paying 50 bucks a week till it was paid off right up to our final event at nationals. Now on their fourth team in four years.

On the other hand if we had an honest family struck by tragedy of some sort (house burned down for example), I know we would rally around them and figure out a way to make it work, maybe find a sponsor for the kid.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Im talking about lack of effort, If it boils down to $100 or less, Im less likely to put my foot down. For the folks that dont actively participate in fund raising or sponsor hunting, I expect a cash payment and if I dont get it then what?, as GD said above about covering a kid until whenever...I rarely get that money back. So, my point is without a deadline and consequences, we are going to be up a creek when the tourneys come up... not enough players or not enough money to cover entry fees.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Unfortunately running a softball team MUST be treated like running a business. As Sluggers said, if you don' then the entire team will collapse.

The range of fees differs greatly depending on where you're at in the country. Cold weather states are more expensive because of the needed indoor training facilities. The program I'm involved with the cost for 14U is $1900 for the season. For many that sounds crazy, but for a cold weather state it's not. The program charges an initial fee and monthly payments. There are no parent coaches, a Board of Directors oversees everything. They have an indoor training facility for all the players to use for working and training. They also rent a very large indoor facility every week for scrimmages and full field practices during the winter. Uniforms, 15 tournaments, equipment and spirit wear is covered under the cost. About the only thing they don't pay for is spikes and bats.

All the costs are given to the parents at tryout time. There is no going back to them for more money. The other things that are spelled out upfront are what happens when a family is not up to date with their financial obligations. If a family falls behind the player is suspended until they can get caught up or make arrangements with the board. As the coach I have nothing to do with it, which is a huge relief for me. It's up to the board. The organization is run like a business and keeps on top of things before they become a giant issue.

Feb 17, 2013
We try to work with the family, and to date I haven't had any major problems. But our policy is that if you can't some up with your expense, ESPECIALLY if you also don't participate in team fundraiser your suspended.

What really burns me is the family that claims they can't pay, then can't participate in a car wash or other fundraiser because they are heading out for a ski weekend.

Also, when it comes time for tryouts, if you owe money from last season, you can't try out.

The reverse side is I know far too many families who are really having a hard time and find a way to hit the pavement and pay for their kids travel ball.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves