Over pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2021
What would you consider a good number per day for 10U? We are heading to a tournament this weekend, last year we mostly used 2 pitchers and they were totally gassed when we made it to the finals on 2 separate occasions. This year we are carrying 4 solid pitchers but want to keep them as rested as we can since they are all in Rec season as well. Thanks for any input!

Feb 25, 2018
What would you consider a good number per day for 10U? We are heading to a tournament this weekend, last year we mostly used 2 pitchers and they were totally gassed when we made it to the finals on 2 separate occasions. This year we are carrying 4 solid pitchers but want to keep them as rested as we can since they are all in Rec season as well. Thanks for any input!

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not convinced that tournaments are the best format to develop youth players, 10u to 18u.

For 14u and below, more practice/skill development, less games.
16u and up, full 7 inning games twice a week for a "season", then playoffs, kinda like American Legion Baseball.

I know softball tourney culture won't change for various reasons.

Oct 4, 2018
Honest question, what is the ideal pitch limit for a weekend? Per day?

In a one-day tourney, around 200 is the max for me, for my DD.

She had a pretty active day last Saturday and was at 178. The weekend before our "other #1" got hurt and they tried to ride my DD. I asked them to take her out at 250 as she was clearly done. They left her in two innings longer than I would have liked.

If you know your pitchers, you know when they're done. They don't push off as hard, they don't have that look in their eye, they aren't as eager to be out there.

Oct 4, 2018

It's tough. You gotta keep them fresh, but doing so might mean you lose some pool games and get a bad seed, or worse yet, you lose your first bracket game and go home.

Feb 25, 2018
It's tough. You gotta keep them fresh, but doing so might mean you lose some pool games and get a bad seed, or worse yet, you lose your first bracket game and go home.

Losing your first bracket game and going home can be a good thing!

Couldn't resist. 😎

May 18, 2019
Some think this is a little conservative and for someone with excellent form it may be, but it's the best I've seen at addressing this.

Attachments

• Softball-Injury-Prevention (13).pdf
    721.6 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321