Open Gyms/Offseason

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 31, 2023
Hey all,

First year High school coach here. I'm getting things put together to start our winter/spring open gyms before the start of the season. Looking for any input on how you all go about making these opportunities effective and efficient.

Happy new year!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Not a coach, but my DD has been attending her school's "Open Fields" since Jr High (and now finishing her Sophomore year). The HS coaches are also the JH coaches. Having watched a few (and talking with DD), they're low-key but offer the girls an opportunity to work on fundamentals. Nothing crazy or high intensity.

Summer "Open Field" - 1.5 hours (depending on how hot it is and how many girls show up each week)
  • Throwing
  • Fielding
  • Sometimes base running
  • Hitting (lots of hitting)
    • Groups of 3 or 4 hit; 3-5 pitches each. Rest of group fields balls.
Winter "Open Gym" - 1.5 hours (depending on how many girls show up)
  • The school has an indoor facility w/ 3 cages/lanes.
  • Pitching/Catching 45min before hitting starts
  • Hitting, hitting and more hitting
    • DD sounds like they get more 1-on-1 work (as needed/wanted).
    • Not sure how they rotate "stations" between the 3-cages. But you could do soft toss, front toss, bunting....or whatever combo you feels helps the most.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Ours is a small-ish HS basketball gym with two drop down batting cages. Most of the time is with cages down working on various hitting stations. We get some fielding work in which is good and bad since the bounces are not the same as on dirt. Pitchers get their work in as well. I and a couple other parents keep them on task since varsity/JV coaches are not allowed until official spring practice starts in March for our state.
Gotta get the mats/cardboard/blankets out since we are woefully inept at sliding.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad