? off season peel drop drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2009
looking for anything that has help dd with peel drop in off season. use of string, drill, or routine that would help with sharper break. also does anyone use a slow or off speed drop.

Jul 26, 2010
Off speed drops are VERY effective. You want her to think spin hard, release soft. The better the spin the better the effect. You want this somewhere between FB and change-up speed. If she has a 45mph fastball and a 32mph changeup, the off-speed drop should be somewhere around 38-40.

For drills, the best thing is for her to just walk around with a ball. She should practice spinning it with the peel straight up and catching it on the seam, repeat. When she's obnoxious with the ball with her constantly and the ball is funky from her fingers, you know she's been working on it.

-W

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
I think you're going to have a hard time developing a hard break on a peel drop. Every video of peel pitches that I've seen, plus watching several girls throwing peels, all have the action of the ball being a rather symmetrical arc. I have Hillhouse's videos, and his peel (which he strongly promotes as a primary weapon) follows a very constant arcing path from his hand to the catcher. Not to say it isn't effective, but a sharp break it ain't.
I don't have any verification of this, but I think the big leaguers use both peel and roll-over drops in their arsenal, with the roll having more sharp break to it.
Jim

May 17, 2009
i have the hillhouse dvd also. i also see the arc path. thats why i wondered about camera angle. does the pitcher from missouri ,that just got on the usa team, throw a peel drop. i thought i read she did. i see a sharper break. my dd has more of a drop curve than a straight up and down drop.

Jun 13, 2009
I think you're going to have a hard time developing a hard break on a peel drop. Every video of peel pitches that I've seen, plus watching several girls throwing peels, all have the action of the ball being a rather symmetrical arc. I have Hillhouse's videos, and his peel (which he strongly promotes as a primary weapon) follows a very constant arcing path from his hand to the catcher. Not to say it isn't effective, but a sharp break it ain't.
I don't have any verification of this, but I think the big leaguers use both peel and roll-over drops in their arsenal, with the roll having more sharp break to it.
Jim

Jim, go see hillhouse throw in a game before you make statements like this. Or any top pitcher for that matter. Osterman throws a peel, you don't see her's 'break'? Hillhouse's videos are demonstrating mechanics and ball rotation not how sharp he can make the ball break.

Jul 26, 2010
Break is a product of spin. Either the ball rotates fast enough in the right direction or it doesn't. How the spin is put in the ball does not matter. It would be neat if someone let Bill use a rev fire to measure his spin and compare it.

-W

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad