Number of incoming freshman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
I'm curious, what's the highest amount of incoming freshman you've seen in a college softball program?

Watching social media and noticed one NAIA has 18 in their incoming class 😲😲

Apr 21, 2021
My daughter came in with a class of 12. D1 mid-major. Eight remaining entering junior year. Two stopped playing softball all together and left the school. One went to a D3 and the other transferred to a D1 within the same conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012
C had 12 her freshman year D3.
By the time the season started they were down to 10, By the time she graduated there were 4.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD had 6 freshman year. 3 quit/transferred after 1st year. 1 quit/grades after 2nd year. 1 graduated 3rd year. She was the last from her class when she graduated.

They have 11 incoming freshman and 1 transfer this year. You have to bring in a bunch. High attrition rates.

Nov 29, 2009
There were 8 in my DD's freshmen class. It was my DD and one other girl who graduated from the same class. All of the others quit for various reasons.

When my DD was a freshman there were 6 seniors on the roster.

Nov 29, 2009
They have 11 incoming freshman and 1 transfer this year. You have to bring in a bunch. High attrition rates.

There are too many travel programs who do not prepare their players for the rigors of college sports. Many kids do not know how to compete for a position. The other things many of the kids are not prepared for is the off-the-field part of college sports. The travel, hotels, time management, self-responsibility, individual workouts, being with the same group of people for extended periods of time and the demands of a coach whose job depends on the team's performance. Just to name a few.

My DD was lucky. Her travel program was run like a college team. She'd been there and done it before she got to college. The upper-classmen could tell, so she didn't get too much crap from them at the beginning of her freshman season and none by the end of it. She used to tell me stories about some of the incoming freshmen fighting about who should carry the team equipment and other stupid things. Other kids falling apart when they got to school because they had no idea what to do when mom and dad weren't there. It was amazing how much my DD matured after her first year at school.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
There are too many travel programs who do not prepare their players for the rigors of college sports. Many kids do not know how to compete for a position. The other things many of the kids are not prepared for is the off-the-field part of college sports. The travel, hotels, time management, self-responsibility, individual workouts, being with the same group of people for extended periods of time and the demands of a coach whose job depends on the team's performance. Just to name a few.

My DD was lucky. Her travel program was run like a college team. She'd been there and done it before she got to college. The upper-classmen could tell, so she didn't get too much crap from them at the beginning of her freshman season and none by the end of it. She used to tell me stories about some of the incoming freshmen fighting about who should carry the team equipment and other stupid things. Other kids falling apart when they got to school because they had no idea what to do when mom and dad weren't there. It was amazing how much my DD matured after her first year at school.
This is very true. Kids are not prepared when they arrive. DD's TB team was similar. They practiced T,W,Th 3 hours a day in the middle of the Texas Summer Heat. 3-6pm. Fall they had 7 hour practices on Sat/Sundays. The coach was old school. He was stern but fair. He wasn't there to be their buddy. He demanded excellence. Everyone was assigned equipment just like college. Game Day: Everyone waited at the front of the gate for everyone to show and walked in together. It was a well oiled machine. When DD got to campus, she was well prepared and thought college practices were easy and lax for her taste.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I just went and looked at an NAIA school's roster for this year. They list 10 freshmen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968