Need ruling, please...I'm too brain dead to think.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
runner on 1st. Grounder hit b/w 1B and 2B...
Runner goes from 1st to 2nd.
2B fields ball, throws to SS at 2B. SS can't catch ball, because runner is in her way. Runner is just running to the base.
Is runner out, as SS has right to make the play?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm no authority, but I say no, the runner is not out, assuming she was in the baseline. Runner has same right to the base as the SS has a right to catch the ball. Not really different than a runner unintentionally getting hit w/ a throw when in a pickle. Its on the defensive players to create/use a clear throwing lane.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The runner has every right to advance directly to the next base, and every right to go in standing up if she wants to.

Fielders have the right of way to field BATTED balls. They don't have the same right of way in fielding a THROWN ball.

A runner's interference with a THROWN ball must be intentional to be a rule violation. Apparently, this runner did not intentionally swat at the ball or the fielder, or do anything other than legally run the bases.

As described, I don't see any sort of rule violation here.

Feb 9, 2009
well, thanks!
That was what I thought, but I couldn't think it through. I have a parent waiting on a text!
THANKS AGAIN!

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
The runner has every right to advance directly to the next base, and every right to go in standing up if she wants to.

Fielders have the right of way to field BATTED balls. They don't have the same right of way in fielding a THROWN ball.

A runner's interference with a THROWN ball must be intentional to be a rule violation. Apparently, this runner did not intentionally swat at the ball or the fielder, or do anything other than legally run the bases.

As described, I don't see any sort of rule violation here.

Unless the batter-runner is running outside the 3' lane, and in the judgment of the umpire, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at 1st base. That's the only time I can remember that the book mentions interference for hindering the catching of a thrown ball specifically.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06