Need conditioning routine for 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm assuming your holding 2hr practices.
Here's an example of what one of mine looks like (indoor winter/rain practice)(we use easton incredaballs)
10min dynamic warm up
10 min steady jog around gym
20 min stations (bunting, pepper, backhands, one hops, etc) keep them rotating every few min.
10 min fungo with a 1b
30min live bp with an infield(I'm pitching) (pitchers and catchers use this time to practice/warm up)
20 min of live game play from pitchers (6 on 6 competition among themselves) or use this time to play out specific scenarios on defence with starters in their positions and outfielders/ subs as baserunners.
20 min of pt. Wall sits, bear crawls, leg throws, push ups, crunches, suicide sprints etc... no breaks during pt. Stay very fast paced, and be sure they leave practice out of breath and sweating.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2011
Ok, I know this thread is about conditioning but I have to ask a question about what Buckeye mentioned in the OP. No weights? Why?

I'm been contemplating this this for awhile now. I think some of the girls I see would benefit from strength training. I know it can't be incorporated into practice but on non-practice days or even over the "off-season" why not?

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
If you are talking strictly conditioning practice, and no balls/gloves/drills involved....look into P90X dvds. There is one that is cardio that consists of kempo karate kicks, punches, jumps, lunges, and some plyo that would be good. It is about 45 minutes if I remember right.

There is also a P90X Plyometrics only dvd that is significantly harder (at least for my 40 year old body when I was doing it) if you really want to work them.

Jun 18, 2010
Frozen posted this workout a couple weeks ago. DD has done it in the house a few times and it's a good one.

Tripped over this surfing my Facebook page. One of my crazy fitness friends posted it. As soon as I saw it, all I could think of is THIS is a fantastic workout for a pitcher. No fancy equipment needed. I guess you're screwed if you live in a ranch with no basement.:p

Thoughts?

As late pubescent youth, your athletes should not be doing any kind of high plyometrics yet. I know this is not the norm in north america but they should be working on multilateral skills at this stage. I am assuming that they are in there preparation phase of training or (the off season) so need to prepare their bodies for work. Anatomical adaptation should be the focus at this point. Use circuit training if you can. Set up stations in the gym that they go through.

For example you could have the following workout:

push ups 6-8 (10)
30 second rest - hip thrust 6-10
30 second rest single leg burpee 8-10 per leg
60 second rest - MB trunk raise 6-8
30 second rest - MB Scoop Throw 10-12
30 second rest - abdominal crunch 6-8
30 second rest dodge the rope 60 seconds
60 second rest - dumbell curl 8-10
loop skip 90 seconds

from Tudor Bompa's Total "Training for Young Champions" a great book for designing and learning about the principles of training junior athletes.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26