NCAA - Men vs. Women

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
You would think that ESPN would be promoting more softball. And I think they are. Lots of games on the multiple networks. Especially with the app showing games from all over at multiple levels.

From a business point, games are faster, shorter, and is showing an increase in viewer #'s the last few years. Being able to broadcast a 2hr SB games vs a 3+hr BB game just seems like a win for them. More games, in a shorter time. Viewers tend to be more focused on a fast paced game which means advertising is more effective cause you stay closer to the TV during breaks.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare regular season attendance of NCAA SS v BB. SB stadiums tend to be much smaller to begin with. EX. Davis Diamond at Texas A&M, which is touted to be one of the latest and greatest, has seating for 2,000, while Olsen Field for BB has seating for 6,100. We try to go to at least 1 A&M SB game a year and tickets are hard to get in non-covid years, impossible during covid. I doubt the numbers are out there or easy to figure, but I would be curious what avg % of capacity per game is for SB v BB.

I agree that SB is not getting equal treatment, but it is improving. The better the game gets, the more equal things will get. It won't happen over night, but I believe it is improving and will get there over time.

May 6, 2015
Around where I am, UNC's men play basketball in 20,000-set Dean Smith Arena. The women play in old Carmichael Arena. But they don't complain about it, not that I've heard. Carmichael is fine, good enough for Michael Jordan, but I think both should have he same basic amenities and opportunities.

I am all for parity, but that decision was by choice actually pf the womens bball program, based on the typical attendance at womens games, in order to have a more intimate experience and feel to the games. I believe they actually bounced back and forth a few times, and both men and women currently play in the DES center.

May 6, 2015
actually, people also need to realize, that the NCAA is NOT SUPPOSED to be merely a money making enterprise. the entire stated purpose of college athletics is about the values it helps to instill, and school pride.

I really think we are at a tipping point in college sports, and although many dont realize it, the explosive growth of big time football and basketball is I think leading to a bubble (not a covid bubble, economic one) that will burst at some point. basically it is about to become pay for play, and I will really lose interest when every year there are a bunch of 19 year old college free agent transfers waiting for to see which booster club can put togehter the best NIL package for them. inevitable really at this point. NCAA just keep going further down the rabbit hole in search of $, and it will actually end up killing the golden goose other than SEC football (my experience, fans ther generally do not care bout rules, ethics, etc. win baby win.)

they should have kept freshman ineligibility, and made athletic scholarships loans unless you finish your degree, payable upon demand (ie you enter draft, better have an agent willing to pony up entire balance within 30 days) unless school granted a release. would have kept out those totally uninterested in school.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I am all for parity, but that decision was by choice actually pf the womens bball program, based on the typical attendance at womens games, in order to have a more intimate experience and feel to the games. I believe they actually bounced back and forth a few times, and both men and women currently play in the DES center.

Correct. That was my point, that women aren't demanding equality in ways that aren't necessary or practical. They're just asking for a level of support and respect that doesn't make them feel like second-class citizens. And that's important not just for the athletes and coaches, but for the message that the university is sending to everyone about what it stands for.

Jul 5, 2016
actually, people also need to realize, that the NCAA is NOT SUPPOSED to be merely a money making enterprise. the entire stated purpose of college athletics is about the values it helps to instill, and school pride.

I wonder when the NCAA was last actually aligned with its stated mission.

May 6, 2015
I wonder when the NCAA was last actually aligned with its stated mission.

I think i went downhill with ESPN. lots more TV (prior, college had to compete with pros on national level for time on big 3 networks), led to more money, led to chasing even more money

Jul 1, 2019
The article spent lots of time talking about the inequities while simultaneously mentioning a steady stream of improvements. Both are simultaneously true, and HOF Stadium a pretty nice facility. Is it as nice as the baseball college world series ballpark? No, but the NCAA didn't build either one. Despite the NCAA's recent threats, I'm not sure where the WCWS moves to in the near term that would allow more than 13K fans but not be playing on a baseball-size field...not a great look.

Personally, I like the fastpitch game more than baseball on any level. However, the truth is that baseball is far bigger and the college game feeds MLB.

The "condensed" schedule of the WCWS is, to me, one of its advantages. Stretching it out could make it harder to watch. Seeing as double-headers are common, even on consecutive days in the regular season, I'm not sure what's so grueling about them in tournament play. These players grew up playing lots of softball...more than one game per day and consecutive playing days shouldn't be difficult.

The NCAA put a lot of pressure on Omaha to build the new ball park. So while they didn’t pay for it, they forced it on the city in order to keep the CWS in town. The question for cities that might want the WCWS is can the revenue off set the cost of a truly great facility with more limited fans traveling and fewer days of fans in town.

I would love for Omaha to build a state of the art softball facility near TD Ameritrade park and have both events. The land is there and you would have a third week of fans in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA