moms or dads or both?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
I think overall it's pretty equal. The issue with Mom's is that they tend to be much louder than dads but I've watched some dads do some big damage in "private" after games. My DW tends to be extremely quiet during games. I still contend that the most damaging comments come from Grand parents or aunts and Uncles who only come to a few games and have little idea on what level of play to expect.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If I had to offer an opinion it would be that most mothers did not compete in competitive sports growing up.

Hmmm...not so sure about that one. It seems to me like there are a lot of sports moms that were also competitive athletes. My guess is that it's a higher percentage than the general population.

As for crazy parents, I would agree with those who have said that it's pretty split between moms and dads.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Interesting. Having 6 kids in various sports, I noticed that men were more vocal in football and girls basketball, while moms were more vocal in wrestling and softball. Go figure. And just to set the record straight, Rosemond does not advocate spanking. He does accept it as a consequence, if used properly. He is all about personal responsibility and meaningful consequences.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hmmm...not so sure about that one. It seems to me like there are a lot of sports moms that were also competitive athletes. My guess is that it's a higher percentage than the general population.

So if you go back 20-30 years you think an equal number of boys and girls competed in team sports?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So if you go back 20-30 years you think an equal number of boys and girls competed in team sports?

That's not what I'm saying. I'm not comparing men to women. My theory is that women who were athletic as kids tend to have girls who also play sports. Not true in every case, of course. Plenty of non-athletic moms (and dads) out there, too. I have no data on this. It's just a theory based on my observations.

I've seen quite a few moms who played travel and/or HS softball who have DDs playing the game now. On my DD's team currently is a girl whose mom played for our HC.

Jun 12, 2015
a lot of the moms I've met played softball when they were younger.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In my world dads are leading 11 arrests to 4 (although one of those mom's arrests should count for at least 2)

May 22, 2015
Illinois
John Rosemond is a nationallly syndicated old school child psychologist who I like a lot. In his recent article about homework and school, he wrote this :
"The underlying problem here is that for complex sociological and psychological reasons, today's moms tend to hang their sense of adequacy on the hooks of their children's achievement in school. Specifically, the unspoken assumption in American mommy culture is that the mom with the highest achieving kid is, somehow, the best mom."

Mehh..There could be some truth to this, but it seems like it would be impossible to gauge it's relevance. This is not to say that I have not met TB parents, soccer parents, or parents in general that you can tell seem to have this issue of constantly comparing their kid to everybody else. Overall I think it would be a fairly small percentage. I really don't see this from my wife or myself for that matter. I had what most would call a rough upbringing. I simply want my kids to have a better life, more choices, and more opportunities than I had. That's where I'll hang my sense of adequacy.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Some of the worst parent behaviors I've personally been involved with at one level or another have been with moms, but I've observed plenty of bad dad behaviors too. People just put way too much importance on sports and the performance of their kids. Add in the helicopter/lawn mower aspect and it can get bad.

That said, I would say the majority of parents whose kids I've coached or who I have watched at games are awesome. Sure, they may react poorly to a particular situation now and again, but for the most part they're there to enjoy watching their kids do something positive. I've met a lot of great people through coaching, and from being a parent of athletes, and continue to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sostrejr2002