moms or dads or both?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
There is a psycho softball mom in our area, and we cut her DD at tryouts every year because the coaching staff did not want to deal with the mother. Too bad, because the player was a good kid and would have helped our team.

We had a girl cut off our team last year. It was because of her dad; her mom was no trouble at all. *shrug* It seems pretty even to me. I've met too many coaches whose egos are all wrapped up in how their team performs, for example. One was bad enough it drove his own daughter to quit playing softball, period. There is plenty of crazy to go around!

I can't take a psychologist seriously who still supports spanking, when the scientific evidence (as it relates to both behavior and psychological well being) is so overwhelmingly against it. My mom tried so hard to get me to follow Rosemond (and Dobson, even worse) when mine were little.

Oct 2, 2015
We had a girl cut off our team last year. It was because of her dad; her mom was no trouble at all. *shrug* It seems pretty even to me. I've met too many coaches whose egos are all wrapped up in how their team performs, for example. One was bad enough it drove his own daughter to quit playing softball, period. There is plenty of crazy to go around!

I can't take a psychologist seriously who still supports spanking, when the scientific evidence (as it relates to both behavior and psychological well being) is so overwhelmingly against it. My mom tried so hard to get me to follow Rosemond (and Dobson, even worse) when mine were little.

grcsftball, aren't you the self-proclaimed "Insane 10U " parent?

I enjoy your posts on how you lecture us on life's lessons.

No spanking?...Maybe we could talk that through, over one of your nice organic Prozac smoothies?

Do you think our DDs are tough as nails because we coddle them, or because they get a little "tough love" on and off the softball field?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
No spanking?...Maybe we could talk that through, over one of your nice organic Prozac smoothies?

Do you think our DDs are tough as nails because we coddle them, or because they get a little "tough love" on and off the softball field?

If you don't spank your kids, you have coddled them? Players who are tough as nails are the ones that got spanked?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Spanking is great cardiovascular exercise. Sometimes I would spank my kids for no reason and give them a stern look and say "you know what you did"....just to keep them on their toes! LOL

Jun 12, 2015
My kids aren't coddled. I just don't spank them. Parents are free to choose whatever form of discipline they want within the law but the research on spanking is pretty darn clear. Look for yourself. Or don't, whatever. My point is only that I can't take a PSYCHOLOGIST seriously who goes against all the research on such a significant parenting decision. He's supposed to be an expert.

My unspanked kids are independent, competent, well-behaved, great team mates. You don't have to hit kids to guide them on their path to being mature adults. A common misconception despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. I'm sure your spanked kids are delightful too.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My kids aren't coddled. I just don't spank them. Parents are free to choose whatever form of discipline they want within the law but the research on spanking is pretty darn clear. Look for yourself. Or don't, whatever. My point is only that I can't take a PSYCHOLOGIST seriously who goes against all the research on such a significant parenting decision. He's supposed to be an expert.

My unspanked kids are independent, competent, well-behaved, great team mates. You don't have to hit kids to guide them on their path to being mature adults. A common misconception despite mountains of evidence to the contrary. I'm sure your spanked kids are delightful too.

There is a HUGE difference in kids personalities and I think it is wrong to think "one size fits all" when it comes to discipline.

Oct 2, 2015
There is a HUGE difference in kids personalities and I think it is wrong to think "one size fits all" when it comes to discipline.

I agree with this.
Some kids got spanked when they were younger, others didn't.

Jun 12, 2015

Absolutely. My 2 are very different and I parent them very differently. We'll have to agree to disagree on spanking but living in the south, I'm used to agreeing to disagree on many, many things.

Jun 19, 2013
Spanking is great cardiovascular exercise. Sometimes I would spank my kids for no reason and give them a stern look and say "you know what you did"....just to keep them on their toes! LOL

We call that a maintenance spanking or a "I'm sure you've done something that I've missed that you thought you got away with" spanking ;) :)

Back to the original post sad to say i think that more of the crazies might be some of the mom's we've dealt with through the years. But more of the outright jerks who won't have relationships with their kids when they are older were dads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sostrejr2002