Mike White 1992

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
What pitch does his grip indicate, Bill?
Either a rise or a change, it's hard to tell with him. Whitey threw his change up by locking his wrist at release but would still obtain dropball like spin, making it look like a regular dropball but 20mph slower so you look like a fool. Extremely hard to pick, even harder to hit.

This pic was probably taken from the finals of that year's World Tournament. If you go to YouTube, the entire championship game that was on TV is there. Type in "1992 ISC World Final", the game is broken up into 5 parts. White was pitching for NHCD (National Healthcare Discount) of Sioux City IA and they played Victoria BC Payless in the final. ****fun fact, this was the first World tournament I pitched in. I was 20 yrs old and we went 3-2, losing and being eliminated by the Payless team 1-0****

This game is a great one to watch for a young pitcher to see that it's not all about strikeouts, it's about 21 outs. White was incredible, and from about the 4th inning on using his change up so incredibly. Even through the announcers you can hear the NHCD team yelling "DO IT!!!!" when their hitters are up, indicating the pitcher's gonna throw a change up. Victoria's pitcher was throwing his 9th game of the tournament, or there abouts after losing their opening game but making it all the way through the loser's bracket of the 48 team event. He must throw his change similar to another pitch because NHCD wasn't right on all of the "do it" being change ups. Mike Piecknik is the guy's name, despite being game #8 or 9 for him he's always been considered one of the fastest pitchers in the game. He's probably throwing in the mid 80's mph. Another fun fact, Piecknik joined the NHCD team the next year after being lured away from his hometown team.

Aug 21, 2008
Bill, do you happen to know else that threw a change-up the way Mike did? Someone's video with better definition?
So you don't like how i explain thing? I'm not good enough for you??? Honestly people, I don't know why I even bother.

kidding.

I'd suggest his daughter, Nyree. In fact, if you watch the game I talked about in the last post, they talk about Mike becoming a father for the first time "next month" which would've been September 1992, that'd be his oldest Nyree. She lives in Austin, I think her pitching business is Brickwall pitching? or something like that. She's on Twitter all the time, I know you can find her there. That would be the best option to find out. Nyree pitched at Stanford, ironically pitching against Oregon when Mike was coaching there. I'd bet dollars to donuts she throws her change like him. Or would have better insight. I've been teammates and opponents of Mike's for 30 years and I could tell you ABOUT his change up but, I couldn't tell you HOW he does it. Sorry about that. I simply don't know how to teach his change.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06