Middle School/Travel Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I had done a search on Middle School SB and saw some threads where you cannot play Travel Ball AND for your Middle School?

Is this only for MS teams that are actually affiliated with the MS? DD's MS team is not technically affiliated with the MS but they have to be a student at her MS. I ask because we have two teams and the second team is made up pretty much entirely of travel ball players. Our team is the non travel ball team - 1 have one new girl who plays TB though.

Also I can't imagine the same rule would even apply to HS.

Thanks for any info..

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Your profile says Georgia, so I'm assuming that is where you live. To my knowledge, there no such law/rule in GA. My DD plays both and "feeder ball" is a big thing here. Most TB teams lay kind of low during MS season, but they still do practice and play occasional tournaments. The good news is that MS season is only until end of September and then TB cranks up.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
High schools have that rule as well as typically not allowing more than 5 girls from the same HS to play TB together.... to my knowledge, there is no such rules in place for Jr High/ middle school

Jul 26, 2016
High schools have that rule as well as typically not allowing more than 5 girls from the same HS to play TB together.... to my knowledge, there is no such rules in place for Jr High/ middle school

x2
There is no rule that doesnt allow kids to play travel during a season in MS.
Some coaches may institute that using the HS rules as his basis but thats a lie.
(I'd tell him to pack sand if it were me)
Rule IS that a HS team cannot have more than 4 (ish) players on the same HS team and that the Coach cannot coach them in TB during the HS season.

Jun 11, 2012
Our head coach is also a HS coach and he has to limit the number of his HS players on our team. Aside from that they do not allow you to miss any HS related sports for club sports so if your club team has a game and your HS team has a practice you have to go to the HS sport. This overlaps even with different sports, DD plays HS varsity soccer and has had to miss a tournament game for her club softball team if her HS soccer coach calls a practice

Nov 18, 2013
The rules vary by state and most only apply to HS. Your MS coach/school may have their own rules. In MN there aren't any restriction on number of HS players on a travel team.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Our coach doesn't have a rule against it at all - I had been browsing through some older threads on this board and someone had mentioned whether it was allowed to play both and it got me concerned. DD isn't doing TB yet anyway but just wanted to be sure in case she finally decides to try within the next couple of years..

The whole non-TB aspect of our team is so that non-TB girls get more exposure prior to HS.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Look for the official rules online from your states High School Sports Regulatory Association. In Ohio you could not play travel ball during the school season.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The rules jump all over the place and yes they apply to MS.

DD had some players that played both, I think is was illegal, but on one care.

DD did not, MS kept her pretty busy.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD was on the MS team last year, and just found out she made the team this year also. She is not allowed to play or practice with her travel ball team. Not sure if it's a state rule, school rule, or coaches rule. I was a little concerned about it last year as most of her travel team didn't play MS ball and they continued practice. It turned out to be a non-issue. Her middle school team either played or practiced all 5 days of the week. Throw at least an hour of homework on top of that and we couldn't have made it to TB practices anyways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl