Metal Spikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2012
DD is able to wear metal spikes this year, ASA 14U. Growing up I heard and saw horror stories of broken ankles when kids switch to metal. What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

Jun 22, 2008
Have umpired 100's of games since the metal cleat rule came around and have yet to see an injury on the field that could be specifically attributed to metal cleats, despite all the doom and gloom everyone was preaching at the time. As for my own daughter, once she wore metal she said she would never wear anything but. Said they gave her much more sure footing in the outfield, especially on damp grass.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
DD is able to wear metal spikes this year, ASA 14U. Growing up I heard and saw horror stories of broken ankles when kids switch to metal. What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

A myth.
Just slide with spikes up, and don't try to walk on the garage floor.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Metal cleats are much better, I loved them when I was playing. They take some getting used to but will be better for all aspects of the game. Just be careful when moving to different surfaces, many a slip and fall occur then. I would bet that more players are hurt falling from running on concrete/ hard surfaces in them than on the field.

Jul 1, 2010
Had the same worries, but DD now swears by them and is, I believe, safer with them. Echo the thought "slide with your feet up".

Feb 12, 2014
My 14yr old switched to them this past weekend and she loved them right out of the box -

I had started a thread on this very topic last week. It appears to have been deleted with the server upgrade.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I have no experience with kids and metal spikes- my question is not re: the player wearing metal spikes, its about the infielders covering bases with metal spikes sliding in. Applying the low tag with metal spikes - is there anything different in the mechanics? I've seen girls hurt their hands with no metal spikes so I'm just wondering...

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've seen girls hurt their hands with no metal spikes so I'm just wondering...

Are the girls applying two-handed tags at the bases? I see too many coaches at 10U and 12U (and even 14U) teaching this. I've always taught my infielders one-handed tags. The glove provides some protection, and a one-handed tag is quicker than a two-handed tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom