Louisville's closer and pitch speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I am watching the Louisville-Kentucky game right now, and watching the pitch speeds being posted by Chelsea Leonard, the closer for Louisville. I have not seen her throw a pitch yet in the 60s. Her top speed seems to be 58, and she's throwing a lot of pitches with speed that starts with a 4. On TV they said she had the most saves in the country.

Interesting, isn't it? We always hear that you can't pitch D1 unless you're in the mid-60s. I guess it depends on where you go and what else you can do.

Mar 8, 2012
Interesting.

I'm not watching but I did get to watch the UF-FGCU game last night. FGCU pitcher throws a fastball and change up. She looked pretty good for only having two pitches.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I am watching the Louisville-Kentucky game right now, and watching the pitch speeds being posted by Chelsea Leonard, the closer for Louisville. I have not seen her throw a pitch yet in the 60s. Her top speed seems to be 58, and she's throwing a lot of pitches with speed that starts with a 4. On TV they said she had the most saves in the country.

Interesting, isn't it? We always hear that you can't pitch D1 unless you're in the mid-60s. I guess it depends on where you go and what else you can do.

Red Sox reliever Vincente Padilla was throwing a slow curve in the Phillies game last night that was clocked at 55 mph

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Been watching her all day. The girl has wicked movement on every pitch and correct me if I'm wrong, I think she threw her change at 42. Huge speed difference there.

Oct 14, 2008
When my dd faced the closer at Louisville on Fri it was a whole different animal. Collins the first pitcher is one of the best pitchers in the country was much easier to time. Very fast very tight spin. The closer,s ball took so much time to get to the point of contact and had such movement it put almost all our girls out on their front foot at contact. Very tough to hit after seeing collins for the majority of the game.

Tim

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
When my dd faced the closer at Louisville on Fri it was a whole different animal. Collins the first pitcher is one of the best pitchers in the country was much easier to time. Very fast very tight spin. The closer,s ball took so much time to get to the point of contact and had such movement it put almost all our girls out on their front foot at contact. Very tough to hit after seeing collins for the majority of the game.

Tim

Much easier to adjust up in speed for batters than adjusting to slower pitching when a relief comes in. I've seen some good teams look bad when the relief pitcher has 3 speeds.........slow, slower, slowest.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have watched several of the CWS games and most of the pitchers speeds I have seen have been in the low 60's with some in the high 50's. Arizona's pitcher is the only one I have seen at 65+.

May 20, 2012
I went to school with Chelsea at Central and seen her play. She can throw high 60s - 70s easily but she is now required not to throw fast anymore because she has tore her ACLs doing that. She will throw maybe one or two at most fast balls in a game. But she no longer needs to because her movement on pitches is sick and because of her knees.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I went to school with Chelsea at Central and seen her play. She can throw high 60s - 70s easily but she is now required not to throw fast anymore because she has tore her ACLs doing that. She will throw maybe one or two at most fast balls in a game. But she no longer needs to because her movement on pitches is sick and because of her knees.

Looked like she had a knee problem today - just hope it wasn't as bad as it looked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd