Knowing when to take chances

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2011
Iowa
I have a situation in which I need assistance:

First, let me put this piece of information out there: In my town, a girl can start playing high school softball the summer after her 8th grade year. It's a general expectation that if you are going to play high school ball, you start on the 9th grade team (we've had some start on varsity right after 8th grade, they were amazing) as soon as you graduate 8th grade.

My organization's 12U team from last year has come out to try out for the 12U division again. Age-wise, they still qualify. However, they are all 7th graders. My concern is that by staying at the 12U level this year, they would be expected to play both 14U AND high school ball next summer. To me, that's quite a leap with little preparation. I think it would be best to put them on a 14U team and send them to 14 B/C tournaments in order to prepare them.

However, this same 12U team struggled last summer. Their coach described them as "emotional" and "giving up as soon as things got bad". My organization's concern with me putting them on a 14U team is that this team will not have the confidence to continue softball after another bad season. They would like to keep them on the 12A level and let them win some in order to raise their confidence in their abilities.

I'm still worried about their lack of preparation for the next summer. As we are getting all new coaches, they will not have the same coach as last year.

What do you think? Keep them on the 12U level, or bring them up to a B/C 14U level? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Feb 3, 2011
You answered your own question. It's a 12u team that belongs in 12u. Based on what you said, if their skills and mental toughness aren't strong enough for them to be competitive in 12u, I don't see why anyone would think this team belongs in 14u.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Sometimes you have to think about #1. Is your DD 12u or 14u talent? There is a big jump from 12u to 14u in strength, speed, and hits. ( or should be in TB ) If she is good I'd look into finding another 14u team to play on. You only play as good as the talent around you. If they suck, pretty soon you fall into that suck. If they are better, it usually pushes you to make yourself better. Get her ready for HS where the age gap is so large.

What position does she play?

Jul 26, 2010
Stay in 12u. If the kid turns 13 this year, try out for 14u in the fall. Fall ball is all about getting ready for the next year. Right now, it IS the next year, play your division.

-W

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
We are in Northwestern IL, last year our 12u team played up in some 14A and 14B tourneys in the QC. Ill tell you the 14B tourney's arent much different than the 12A tourneys. You run into a few loaded teams in the A side that can really play! As for what your team did last season if mental toughness was an issue then the stress of playing up could hurt them! But it might be a good idea to play 12A and maybe hand pick a few 14B tourney's that you know they can compete to maybe boost confidence a little. Also depends on whether your playing ASA or USSSA. the pitching distance is different at 14U for USSSA maybe your pitchers would have problems at 43 feet. No one knows your team like you do, work with it and see what works good for them.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just understand that what might be best for the team as a whole might not be best for each player individually. Some probably are ready while others are not. Figure out what your goals really are. If its to get the girls ready individually for the next level, some probably move up and the others stay. If its for the org to have a winning/competive team, sounds like they should stay. As a parent, I'd be inclined to do what was best for my DD whether it means moving up, staying put or finding another org. Ultimately, its usually the parents of the kids who will determine whether the team will stay together rather than the organization's decision.

Good luck!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why don't you put them on a 12U team and then play a majority of 12U tournaments and then maybe a few 14B/C tournaments towards the end of the season it if still makes sense?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06