Kennesaw State Softball Coach fired for Sexual Misconduct

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Our coaches had just met with him and were working on setting up a partnership with KSU softball. My husband has taken a coach's clinic be helped put on, and really liked the guy. Crazy. You just never know about people.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
For clarification, the sexual misconduct refers to inappropriate comments made by the coach, and not to a physical relationship between the coach and players.

Dec 19, 2012
For clarification, the sexual misconduct refers to inappropriate comments made by the coach, and not to a physical relationship between the coach and players.

From the article:

"Coach Acheson's has (sic) been reported to have made sexual comments towards the players, insinuations the girls were 'servicing' the baseball players, threatening to remove players scholarships for their lack of performance, uncontrollable berating of the coaching staff and players as well as physically touching players in inappropriate manners," the letter states.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think JAD meant that coach wasn't being accused of having sex with a player, or pursuing that sort of thing, for example.

The inappropriate touching that was reported in the article consisted of this -

"Coaches MUST let the sports medicine staff treat/ massage the student-athletes- the coaching staff should not do that!" it stated.

The investigation concluded Acheson is not guilty of the University's definition of sexual assault, but it did find Acheson hugged his players and kissed them on the cheek. The investigation states it is not likely that these actions rose to the level of nonconsensual sexual touching.

Not making light of any of this. Just clarifying.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
I think JAD meant that coach wasn't being accused of having sex with a player, or pursuing that sort of thing, for example.

The inappropriate touching that was reported in the article consisted of this -

"Coaches MUST let the sports medicine staff treat/ massage the student-athletes- the coaching staff should not do that!" it stated.

The investigation concluded Acheson is not guilty of the University's definition of sexual assault, but it did find Acheson hugged his players and kissed them on the cheek. The investigation states it is not likely that these actions rose to the level of nonconsensual sexual touching.

Not making light of any of this. Just clarifying.

I know. JAD's post only mentioned inappropriate comments by the coach. I wanted to add that it also included inappropriate touching.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
It may be splitting hairs, but I would probably have termed what he's accused of as sexual harassment vs. misconduct. The same kind of stuff that sleazy bosses do to their secretaries (massaging their shoulders and commenting creepily on their physical appearance). Kissing them on the cheek is right there on the line for me. I would not want a coach, boss, or supervisor to touch me physically. I know things are sometimes "looser" in sports (what with pats on the butt and such), but that falls into creepy territory for me.

Jun 12, 2015
It may be splitting hairs, but I would probably have termed what he's accused of as sexual harassment vs. misconduct. The same kind of stuff that sleazy bosses do to their secretaries (massaging their shoulders and commenting creepily on their physical appearance). Kissing them on the cheek is right there on the line for me. I would not want a coach, boss, or supervisor to touch me physically. I know things are sometimes "looser" in sports (what with pats on the butt and such), but that falls into creepy territory for me.
Me too. The relationship behind it all is key. Either of my DD's coaches from last year hugging her or kissing her cheek would have felt off, while the coach she's known since she was 5, who is her BFF's dad, it would not feel weird. I'm not a touchy person and can't really imagine having a non-intimate relationship with a man that included hugging, massages, or cheek kissing. But that's me. Some people hug when they meet strangers, ya know?

Overall I get the same vibe as you on this. The boss and secretary stereotype.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I sometimes think that parental grudges result in these Title IX complaints. I am all for equality and young women should not be subjected to sexual harassment, but lets be real here.

How many college football coaches have called their team a "bunch of fa*gs" after a loss? How many have told them to put on their panties and get off the rag and go back on the game. How many have slapped the butt of a player.

My point is that you could easily draw the same picture of a coach I read in this article using some things that happen in boys sports pretty frequently. It never happens of course because it really is not sexual per se. It is poor taste, vulgar and useless, but not really meant to be sexual IMO. It is using the long held belief by some coaches that belittling players works and one form of belittlement is sexual (calling a boy a f*g or telling a girl she is servicing the baseball team) but I do not think this was the intent of Title IX.

Now...if my daughter was subject to something like this, and the school did not take action, I sure as hell would go the Title IX route, but it would be because that was my best recourse to go after a bad, verbally abusive coach, not because I really thought she was being discriminated against due to her sex or being sexually harassed. I don't think I would do this if I had a son though. So this only shows my sex based bias I guess. Just being blatantly honest here folks. Please save the crucifixion.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Me too. The relationship behind it all is key. Either of my DD's coaches from last year hugging her or kissing her cheek would have felt off, while the coach she's known since she was 5, who is her BFF's dad, it would not feel weird. I'm not a touchy person and can't really imagine having a non-intimate relationship with a man that included hugging, massages, or cheek kissing. But that's me. Some people hug when they meet strangers, ya know?

Overall I get the same vibe as you on this. The boss and secretary stereotype.

Cheek kiss? No.
Massages? No.
Hugging? Depends. Hard to define.

Mike Candrea and Cat Osterman:

Cat_and_Candrea.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl