Just an observation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Nice view on the thumbnail pics. I had another observation that I was curious about. At her release, her hips are at about 45 degrees, but her shoulders appear to be fully closed. I have heard/seen differing views on where the shoulders should be at release. Seems to me that they should be almost fully closed (like the pics) to maximize the arm speed and free up the throwing arm. I have seen some where the shoulders are about 45 degrees, and that would seem to me to restrict the throwing arm and require her to throw across her body to some degree. Curious as to other opinions.....

Sep 3, 2009
2bucketdad
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/767-pitching-videos.html

Check out post #2 and 3. Hand position may vary a little from 12 to release but there hand is deffinately not on top of the ball.
They are not bowling the pitch. Try this, get to an open position, put your hand at 9 oclock with your hand on top of the ball and cock your wrist back so the ball is facing 2nd base. There is tension in the forearm. Now turn your hand so the ball is somewhere between facing 3rd and facing up, there is no more tension. IMO, tension is bad, tension is slow. My point was 5 of the six girls had been taught to pitch with an incorrect arm path. The one with no lessons did what was comfortable, and threw pretty hard.
Mike

I'm wondering if they were really "taught" that way or it they just assumed that was what their hand position was at 9:00 when asked. When going through a full pitching motion were their hands facing towards 2nd at 9:00? Just curious.

Tom

Jul 21, 2008
I guess I'm lost in the wording...I see no way that the ball is being pulled if your hand is on top of the ball to me if the hand is on top of the ball the ball is facing the ground like someone palming a basketball...i see the fingers pointing up and the ball is facing somewhere between second base and third base and the pulling is comming from the elbow and shoulder not the hand...sorry I interjected my self in your thread I guess I just didn't understand what was being said or don't relieze whats going on...

2bucketdad, I think the wording is throwing you off. When we are talking about the hand we are refering to the palm of the hand is facing up. If you point the ball toward 2nd base the palm will be pointed down or at second base if the wrist is cocked. I want my pitchers to have the ball somewhere between palm up or palm toward 3rd base.

Sep 10, 2009
Houston
I believe all three pitchers in the thumbnails are throwing screwballs. The hands seem to stay inside the ball and they all are fairly closed at release.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC