Jordan Taylor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2010
Michigan
I've been watching the former UM All-American pitch for several years, and recently watched her pitch a bit with the US National Team in the World Cup games. It's clear to me that I am the only person who thinks she pitches illegally, but apparantly I am wrong as Ive never heard this issue raised. She looks like she is throwing side arm. As I understand the rule the elbow is not supposted to be outside of the elbow and must be below the waist. It looks to me that her wrist is clearly outside of the elbow.

The video below is from youtube, so it is grainy and my rudimentary editing tools are not great, but if any of you can make it out, I'd be interested in your thoughts and to tell me the error of my ways.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
What a terrible looking arm circle. And I can't figure out why she does the big stretch. Lot's of things I wouldn't want my daughter to do.
That said, she definately brings it! At the level this girl plays, if it was illegal someone would've called her on it by now. I like watching her pitch!
Ah, but what do I know!

Dec 7, 2011
Ya i see what ya mean.

I say lets have the softball world first figure out how to fix crow-hopping & leaping first before attacking this one......

Oct 19, 2009
I’ve been watching her pitch in the World Cup on ESPN3, she does a lot mechanical that I would not want a pitcher to do and some of the experts here are against.

I think you have a point about her not being legal in how the rules read.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ya i see what ya mean.

I say lets have the softball world first figure out how to fix crow-hopping & leaping first before attacking this one......

I like how ISF has fixed leaping by just going ahead and making it legal. (Sec 61)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I noticed that she got rid of the big stretch with her arms over her head. She brings the glove up like Cat does, but no hips forward back arching stretch.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I may be biased but I say let 'em leap. If they leap too high it hurts there accuracy, seen it, so they aren't gonna want to leap real high. The way pitchers are doing it now works really well. So a lil leap I think is alright.
Crowhopping on the other hand is different story. You are actually pushing off from a closer distance, thereby cheating.(well I guess it is all cheating)
Isn't this sidearmed action kind of a byproduct of IR? Sure hers is a lil more pronounced. I think this is do to such an irregular arm circle.

May 23, 2010
Michigan
I think most of us see what we think are flaws in her mechanics, but it does not seem to hinder her performance much. My point about rules is if they are selectively enforced, why have them at all?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1